Mk I Consul & Zephyr Images

Vintage photos, images or scans
stanchfi
Site Admin

Mk I Consul & Zephyr Images

Post by stanchfi »

(Courtesy of: The European Ford Owners North America and The International Ford History Project)

Image1951 Ford Consul (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

A beautiful color ad introducing the Mk I Consul to the USA in 1951. The addition of the Consul to the North American line up helped boost US sales from 1,859 in 1950 to 3,508 in 1951.

Image1952 Ford Consul (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

Image1952 Ford Zephyr-Six (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

1952 Consul, 1952 Zephyr-Six

Image1953 Ford Consul (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

A 1953 ad for the Consul Convertible, note the three-way top. This ad is from The New Yorker magazine.

Image1954 Ford Consul & Zephyr (Canada) by Michael, on Flickr

1954 Canadian ad for the Mk I Consul (EOTA) and Zephyr (EOTTA).

Image1954 Ford Zephyr (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

Image1955 Ford Zephyr (USA) by Michael, on Flickr

1954 Zephyr-Six Convertible, 1955 Zephyr-Six Convertible
IFHP
Site Admin

Millionth Export English Ford

Post by IFHP »

Mr. & Mrs. Michael Schreiner of Vancouver, BC shaking hands with the staff of Brown Brothers Motors, a Ford British dealer in Vancouver. The Schreiners were not purchasing the Mk I Zephyr convertible in the background, rather they had ordered a Zodiac sedan. It turns out that the car they ordered was Ford of England’s millionth export vehicle (since WW II). Ford of England was eager to promote this fact and in September 1955, Ford flew the Schreiners to Dagenham to pick up their car; it was a gala event complete with a parade.

Exports were very important to the British economy after WW II and Ford was Britain’s leading vehicle exporter.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Here we see the fanfare at Dagenham as the Schreiner's drive off in Export Job 1,000,000. According to historian Michael Allen (in his 1983 book Consul, Zephyr, Zodiac, Executive) this event happened on September 5th, 1955. Later the Zodiac was shipped to Vancouver aboard the maiden voyage of the Norwegian freighter MV Evanger.

Notice the British Columbia plates. I sometimes wonder if this car survives, and what color it was.

Thanks to Patrick Wilson for finding these photos and bringing them to my attention.

Michael