Sometimes Life Gets in the Way

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
angliagt

Sometimes Life Gets in the Way

Post by angliagt »

Back in May,my right hand swelled up,causing a lot of pain in my middle finger.
A little over two weeks ago,I went to the Orthopedic Doctor,where they took a blood sample
from the palm of my hand.
The next day,while I was at work,they told me to get to the hospital ASAP.Had surgery
the next day,where they had to clean out a major infection.Spent eight days in the hospital,
& had a PICC line inserted for IV's in my left arm.I get injection into it every 6 hours,which my
Wife does.Really messes up our sleep.
The hardest parts are not having use of my right hand (I'm right handed),7 being able
to do simple things.I can finally drive (automatics only) for now,& only when I have to.Finally went
down to the garage & started up & moved my sports cars (about 10 feet each way).It felt good!
I had a hard time not driving my self to the Cars & Coffee meet last Sunday that was only about
a mile away.
I thought that I had no life before this,but even less of one now.I check this site at least
once a day,& want to hear from you! Don't feel sorry for me - it could be MUCH worse.
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Sepp

Re: Sometimes Life Gets in the Way

Post by Sepp »

Wow, I hope you have a speedy recovery!
mark

Post by mark »

...just like cars...as we age, we require some maintenance too ! ......wishing you a speedy recovery.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Life does indeed remind us who is in charge... :D

Not to 'top' your story but to underscore and empathize with what you posted.

For a few months I have been feeling a lot less robust than usual, I put it down to the normal ageing process (I'm 75 and was in decent shape) until the process really accelerated - one day in late May I took my 75 year old body to bed, bedtime, read a bit drop off to sleep, drool on the pillow, the usual.

I woke up next day feeling like a 95 year old...long story short, it is cancer but THAT is not the really annoying part for me. LIke most here I have twiddled and diddled with my cars, that 1965 Cortina GT I stuffed an S2000 drivetrain in was to be my last, given my age and given that it takes me forever to do these things (the Cortina took quite a few years to finish).

But then, a couple of years back I espied yet another project (not a Ford, sorry, attached photo just to illustrate), bought it and started the usual process, walk around the car, poke at it, look underneath etc but no need because it ran and drove (and leaked!!!) but it would have to be worked on.

I had just started pulling the leaky motor when I got the cancer news so that is one project I will NOT be completing :D No sympathy needed here, millions of people get cancer.

Moral of the story? No idea really, :D just enjoy things as you go along and be happy to sit in your garage at the end of the day, looking at your latest madness/project/pride and joy.
Talbot.jpg
Talbot.jpg (249.13 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Man,that really sucks! When these things happen,you o normal things.
I learned that I really hated going to the ER & the hospital (AGAIN!?),but while
there realized that there are people much worse off than I was.I also realized
what a great Wife I have (married for 45 years to the same Idiot).She took care
of me,made & reminded me of appoints that I had,gave me IV injections every
six hours,& change the dressing on my hand.
Do you have any great friends that could help finish your project?
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

angliagt wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:41 pm Man,that really sucks! When these things happen,you o normal things.
I learned that I really hated going to the ER & the hospital (AGAIN!?),but while
there realized that there are people much worse off than I was.I also realized
what a great Wife I have (married for 45 years to the same Idiot).She took care
of me,made & reminded me of appoints that I had,gave me IV injections every
six hours,& change the dressing on my hand.
Do you have any great friends that could help finish your project?
Ditto all of the above,,, :D

I have a very good friend who has been with a local car club of total 'petrolheads' for decades, who do such things - my friend Ed as an example built the car in this video from a set of drawings from the ground up and he is bring along the club president to kick the tires on the Sunbeam.

Ideally I get my money back but I REALLY want is to see this car go to someone who 'gets it'

https://www.google.com/search?q=lister+ ... qPIT7MKh08

As before all good here
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Sorry to hear your news, but you have a very positive attitude and that goes a long way. BTW, that Lister Knobbly is a work of art.
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...