Where to look/who to ask for 3.7 rear ends?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
MichaelsVintageRacing

Where to look/who to ask for 3.7 rear ends?

Post by MichaelsVintageRacing »

Hi everyone,

I'm on the lookout for a few used 3.7 ring and pinion sets (or whole differential units) for a few of the race cars we care for. They use the Anglia/Cortina English Ford rear end. I know Burton and others have new sets, but I've heard mixed reviews and in a race context the apparently thin surface hardening makes me nervous. Quaife no longer make this ratio.

Who would be a good person to contact in search of these units? Was 3.7 a particularly common or uncommon ratio?

Thanks!
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
Brett Wilkie

Re: Where to look/who to ask for 3.7 rear ends?

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I don't think the 3.7:1 is that common although my 67 Lotus Cortina Mk2 came with it as a stock ratio and it was available as an option on others so I suppose there should be some used ones around but think of the age of them by now. It is interesting what you say about Burton's stuff, I was contemplating buying something off them in the 4.4:1 range or lower. I made the stupid mistake of putting a Quaife ultra-close box behind my crossflowed 100e Anglia, the 2.25:1 first gear is not up to the task of the hills in my town so I am putting a semi-close box back in now.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
MichaelsVintageRacing

Yeah, the 3.9 appears to be the common ratio but I've never looked much for a 3.7 up to this point so I don't have a frame of reference really.

The Burton stuff may be fine for the street; I just know the surface hardening doesn't appear to be up to the task for racing.

I can definitely understand why the ultra-close box would be a headache on the street; we like having a useable first gear on track, but we don't deal with many slow hills!
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Check the Lotus guys out too, I think a lot of the old Elans had the higher ratios. I just looked on Ebay and saw this but it's not a great deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385099455985?h ... R4y-1Y_BYQ
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
MichaelsVintageRacing

Yeah, that's a good point. I'll look for Elan-specific stuff also.