UK. vs USA.

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

IFHP wrote:Back the original issue about shipping for UK based e-bay sellers, I have found that it is quite common that UK e-bay sellers just don't want the bother or they charge way too much for shipping (not all of course, but quite few). There are also a number of US e-bay sellers that don't want to bother with shipping outside of this country too.
Ebay should not allow sellers who don't want to mail there goods to other country's or overseas. Makes no sense. They need to go to a shipping companies anyway, no matter what. Us ebay seller are doing the same thing because they are fed up with the way they are treating us. Payback
MR. EXPORT MAN
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

It really depends on what you are looking for, I have found Miltons will ship to me in Canada but the shipping itself can be a bit steep, they want 36 Pounds Sterling to send me a pair of steering arms for Cortina MkII struts.
http://www.dalek.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1 ... Milton.pdf
I haven't really been exploring 105e stuff because I am building a 100e but there are a number of parts in common between the two cars, we will have to put the internet to work.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

Brett Wilkie wrote:It really depends on what you are looking for, I have found Miltons will ship to me in Canada but the shipping itself can be a bit steep, they want 36 Pounds Sterling to send me a pair of steering arms for Cortina MkII struts.
http://www.dalek.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1 ... Milton.pdf
I haven't really been exploring 105e stuff because I am building a 100e but there are a number of parts in common between the two cars, we will have to put the internet to work.
Didn't know Milton was still around. Didn't the founder of Milton passed away.
MR. EXPORT MAN
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Kevin Wood passed away more then a year ago. His father and brother are now running the business.

I did a little research regarding imported auto parts to the U.S.

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS ). States: Some imported auto parts must meet or comply with Federal regulations code 49 CFR 571. Such as: brake hoses, brake fluid, child safety restraint systems...etc.
It doesn't mention anything about non-safety equipment. example: interior / exterior trim, engine/transmission items, radios...etc.

I understand Jan's point, in that, some parts from the U.K. would be considered FMVSS sensitive requiring stipulative insurance to protect against a lawsuit. But there are parts from the U.K. that can be shipped without worry.
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

peteleo wrote:Kevin Wood passed away more then a year ago. His father and brother are now running the business.

I did a little research regarding imported auto parts to the U.S.

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS ). States: Some imported auto parts must meet or comply with Federal regulations code 49 CFR 571. Such as: brake hoses, brake fluid, child safety restraint systems...etc.
It doesn't mention anything about non-safety equipment. example: interior / exterior trim, engine/transmission items, radios...etc.

I understand Jan's point, in that, some parts from the U.K. would be considered FMVSS sensitive requiring stipulative insurance to protect against a lawsuit. But there are parts from the U.K. that can be shipped without worry.
I wasn't aware of the situation with the FMVSS. I guess you have to go with there regulations. Now I understand the reasons for UK not being able to supply North America with auto spares. But they should reconsider with parts that don't fall under those laws. It sure would help lots of people and it would also help there businesses financially. Especially the 105E club.
MR. EXPORT MAN
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

I discussed this problem with the FSOC several years ago. I was trying to buy several items that we would never consider as safety threats. One was new rubber for my opening windshield. My comment was that there is just no way they could be sued over that. The response was, conceivably the rubber could come loose at a corner or something and distract the driver's attention causing a crash possibly injuring or even killing someone. How can you argue with that kind of logic? Remember the old woman who spilled McDonalds hot coffee in her lap and successfully sued for millions. We just have far too many lawyers and frivilous lawsuits. Although I hate it, I can understand their insurers concerns, particularly for nonprofit organizations.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
DonG

Imports

Post by DonG »

Sounds like classic British Passive Aggressive behavior! They love us but they hate us!
Over the Rainbow you will find an Anglia!