GPS speedometer

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
mark

GPS speedometer

Post by mark »

this is for Brett, Didn't you post a pic of a GPS speedometer installed in the stock dash pod? I have been searching on both sites with no luck. Can you post a link?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I did post that on one of the Forums?? Anyway here is a rundown of what I did.
I took a stock 100e speedometer removed the guts out of it and roughly cut the back off of it so the retaining studs were preserved. The GPS unit is just the correct diameter (can't remember size) to fit through the front of the 100e unit with that stepped trim sleeve and chrome ring still in place and then the GPS unit can be secured by the threaded ring that goes on the back of the GPS body. The complete unit can then be put back into the 100e dash pod. Here are a few pictures to illustrate the process. The GPS unit you get may be a different diameter so you may have to improvise a bit, when I find the measurement I will post it here.

dometer%20gps%204%202015%203_zpsvifodvmm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

ahh thanks Brett, I noticed the tach...I never seen that before. At any rate, I am trying to figure out what to do about a speedo. I have a perfectly good speedo that measures the speed way off if connected to the T9 tranny and then the issue with custom cable....I know it can all be sorted out with some $$$...but...
we (my son) has put together a GPS speedo with a broken 100E speedo. He took a $16 RC GPS module, a free stepper motor out of a broken printer, and few other circuitry stuff and created a working speedo that is accurate please see the youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfnGo7yzDmA
however it has a couple of drawbacks, you can see the slow refresh rate and no odometer. We want to make a more robust unit but I think by the time we buy a car GPS module ($100??), an automotive speedo motor, and electronic display for the odometer, it may equal out to buying one off the shelf. But to someone that likes the original look, this home built unit looks interesting. will keep you posted on updates.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Great video, that's using you ingenuity. Who knows maybe my store bought unit won't respond any faster? I haven't had the car ready for the road yet.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

Tell me about the tach...which cars had the tach? which leads me to where were the fuel and temp gages located when a tach was present?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The tach is just a Mk2 Cortina GT unit but I believe that a number of different British makes use a similar dimension tachometer, it's just a matter of what you like.
I put my temp and oil pressure gauge in the center section of the dash where the louvers were cut out, the actual two hole pod is a modified part out of a Mk1 Cortina GT that I screwed to a plate and then screwed that over the louvered area as in that picture below.

As far as a fuel gauge goes I am not going to use one, I am using one of these tanks that does not have a sending unit in it.
I will be using two pumps in the trunk, each one will draw from the tank top through a pipes down into the tank. One pipe goes only 3/4 of the way down and the other goes right to the bottom, when the 3/4 pump starts to run out I just switch over to the other reserve pump.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

all the gauges look great, your handy work makes it look like it belonged there from the beginning.
Your two level pick up in the gas tank is reminiscent of the pre '62 VW reserve gas lever handle I remember so well. (probably you too !!)
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Thanks, I actually did get the idea from the old VW Beetle days. I remember that little lever you could kick over with your foot.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock