Federal Spec Mk II Cortina Spotters Guide

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
IFHP
Site Admin

Federal Spec Mk II Cortina Spotters Guide

Post by IFHP »

Here is a link to something that Phil Bass and I wrote up for the E-Ford Lines several years ago. It discribes how to identify Federal Spec Mk II Cortinas.

http://www.pixelmatic.com.au/cortina/ar ... guide.html

Michael
Dave A

Some more of the differences between federal and U.K. spec

Post by Dave A »

All federal spec Cortinas had opening front vent windows while was optional and very rare in the U.K.

Unlike U.K. Federal spec models had seat belts for all passengers.

Federal spec models had hazard flashers while not in U.K.

Federal spec had red rear signal lens while they were orange in the U.K.

Federal spec had tandem brake system with warning lamp and switch while was single in U.K.

1967 & early 1968 U.S. spec had GT badging on the lower front fenders

1968 1/2 Federal spec ( Series 1) equipped with the newer style (Series 2)window crank handles

1968 1/2 Federal had the series 2 style rotating inside door lock knob on the driver's door only while passenger doors locked like u.k. models.

1968 1/2 and newer federal spec had the safety breakaway inside rearview mirror. Not a feature in U.K.

1968 1/2 and newer federal spec had 2 speed wipers while single speed was retained in U.K. except on Lotus models.

1968 1/2 federal spec saw the battery move from the right hand side of the car to the left hand side unlike U.K. where it stayed on the right.

In the next post I will cover the differences on 1969 and newer models.
Dave A

some of the differences between 1969/70 federal spec and u.k

Post by Dave A »

1969 and newer federal spec models had the small rotating type inside lock knob on all doors while U.K. retained the 1967 setup.

1969 and newer federal spec Deluxe and GT had the deep embossed style pattern vinyl on all seating surfaces.

1969 and newer federal spec models had built-in seat tracks.

1969 and newer federal spec Deluxe and GT had bright trim along the wheel openings and rocker panels as well as wheel trim rings.

1969 and newer federal spec GT equipped with radial ply tires.

1969 and newer federal spec GT had the panel between the tailamps painted in a matte black finish.

1969 and newer federal spec GT had servo assisted brakes.

1968 1/2 and newer federal spec models had door panels with a square area around the window crank handle which was deeply padded. In 1970 some of the padding was reduced however the style was the same. (The U.K. retained the 67 type door panels)

Certain late 69 and 70 federal spec models equipped with emission controls-air pump and vapour recovery system.

1970 federal spec models had locking steering wheel with long ignition key.

1970 federal spec had tandem front bumper braces (two on each side) with 2 extra bumper bolts.

Note; My two posts are only in addition to what's already been mentioned in the link Michael has placed above. These posts do not make mention the many changes/evolvements that are common between federal spec and U.K. spec models-only the differences between them. Feel free to add if there is something i've missed or you feel is incorrect.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Great info!!! thanks for posting it.

I'm hoping this will be a question on Jeopardy soon!

-James
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

I forgot to mention steering wheels.

1969Image

1970 ignition lock (top). 1969 (middle) 1968 (bottom)