1600 kent automatic transmission

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
cromcru

1600 kent automatic transmission

Post by cromcru »

i have been told that the cortina with the 1600 kent motor ,did have the option of an automatic transmission. and this was a borg warner type 35 automatic 3 speed. if so, was it an okay trans. any known problems with it. reason i was curious is that i have a future project for what will be my youngest daughters high school graduation. aka 1974 mg midget heheh. im think of doing a 1600 kent with an auto. either that or a 2000 pinto. so let me know. so i can get the ball rolling . :o
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Or you could give her a gift that lasts for ever and teach her to drive a stick...
the older i get,the faster i went...
cromcru

gift that lasts forever

Post by cromcru »

knowing my daughter,ill keep it simple. cause she is the two left feet type.for now anyways.
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well i have a mk1 cortina with the 1500 and the auto trans wich is also the borg warner 35 i believe and i used it for a daily driver its not a bad tranny just they get old and the seals get hard wich is an issue with any auto thats got some age and what mine does is it wont back up when its cold once it warms up and the seals get more plyable then it works just fine but id much rather have a manual
cromcru

auto trans

Post by cromcru »

thank you racer 36 for your info. that really helps.so next question. do you have any pics of your auto that include the kickdown cable/ linkage. since yours is a precrossflow does it have the same bellhousing bell pattern as the 1600.
racer36

Post by racer36 »

i believe the belhousing is the same not a hundred percent on that and ill try and get some pics of the kick down linkage this weekend its probaly different than what would be on a 1600 being the carb is on the opposate side and a 2 bbl vs a 1 bbl
racer36

Post by racer36 »

heres some photos of the kick down cabe setup on my car if ya need any more let me know

cromcru

kickdown pics

Post by cromcru »

thank you racer36. your pics look great. gives me a lot of ideas on it too.not too long ago. at my local pic and pull yard had a 65 volvo come in with a motor with twin su carb set up.your lickage set is very simular. i was thinking of doing a 1600 with twin su carbs. i know they are a pain to get into sink right. lol
racer36

Post by racer36 »

no prob if ya need any other pics let me know and yea that woud be a neat setup and ive synced 4 cyclinder motorcycle carbs before and its almost worth buying a syncer setup you wouldnt believe the difference it makes when ya get them super close best of luck