UK. vs USA.

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
ELFLACO65

UK. vs USA.

Post by ELFLACO65 »

Ok so I'm looking to buy a Anglia radio. Post the topic in the wanted section. Get a reply from one of the members and he tells me that there is one for sale on eBay but the seller is in the uk. Email the seller to ask him if he would ship item overseas and right off the back he replys and tells me no. So ask him why and he tells me because of shipping cost. Please I'm paying for the dam shipping cost. Is there a uk member here on this forum that can tell me why it's so hard to deal with the uk when it come to buying parts from them. This is not the first time this happens to me. Just makes me sick to hear no for answer when there is not a legit reason. I think our money is as good as there's.
MR. EXPORT MAN
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Most U.K. individuals or businesses will ship to the U.S. So, maybe it's just a personal thing.
The 105E club, for one, won't ship to N.America even if you are a member because of insurance issues: http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub.co.uk/spares/
DonG

UK problems.

Post by DonG »

Your experience with the UK is just what happens to me about 50% of the time. Large items are very expensive but people who refuse small items are just being anti American. :x
Over the Rainbow you will find an Anglia!
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

Pete you are correct. They have what they call insurance stipulation wish is a agreement. Agreement not sell anything to the USA. I was a member of that club many years ago. And that's the reason I never renew my membership. Couldn't buy parts. I tell you one thing, accepted my membership money with no problems at all. I know there are company's and people that will sell you parts from the uk but like Don G said large items are expensive. I bought a die cast anglia once from eBay uk for 10 pounds no much when converted to dollars but shipping cost came out to $30.00. When I ask the seller why so much he said it was handling fees. Must of been very heavy for him. :lol:
MR. EXPORT MAN
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I have had the same experience many times, there seems to be a fear to ship because of "the insurance thing" I don't know why North America has been singled out as a no go zone when they are willing to ship all over Europe and beyond, why us??
There are still some level headed induviduals and parts outlets over there that would love our business so you have to pick and choose.
I watched the auction that you were interested in and can't understand why any seller would narrow down his potential buyers by adding that "will only ship to U.K." note? Everybody looses, in the future try to get a contact in the U.K. that will buy for you there and ship it home. It makes things easier.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

Brett Wilkie wrote:I have had the same experience many times, there seems to be a fear to ship because of "the insurance thing" I don't know why North America has been singled out as a no go zone when they are willing to ship all over Europe and beyond, why us??
You'd have to take that one up with the various insurance companies, but rightly or wrongly the USA and Canada are seen as very litigious and insurance to these countries just cannot be had in the UK. Effectively, this means that the individual / club / commercial undertaaking would have to carry the risk themselves and, in the event of a successful claim, put their personal resources - cars, house, savings - up for grabs. While many commercial undertakings are prepared to accept that risk, to a volunteer-run club it's a step too far. These people give up much time to provide the services the club offers, but see no justification in possibly losing their homes as well.

To be fair, the clubs will "accept my membership money with no problems at all" if you choose to pay it (and some USA / Canada members do so), but there is no hidden stipulation in the small print; all clubs specify very clearly that they cannot sell parts to members on the western side of the Atlantic.

I was a Committee member to both the Sidevalve and Anglia Clubs when these decisions were taken. They were taken very reluctantly, but without access to insurance cover, we felt the alternative was to shut down the spares service altogether.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I know what you mean, I think some of our litigious reputation has been earned by some hungry lawyers. It's too bad that it spoils it for a lot of people.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Years ago, one would have to send an international money order or Sterling cheque first to purchase parts overseas. So, it's much easier nowadays to do an overseas money transaction thru paypal which is fast, safe, and secure.
U.S.P.S., Fed-Ex and UPS will deliver insured packages anywhere in the world including the U.K. Those same services are available in the U.K. also thru Fed-Ex and UPS. I think it would be harsh to lose a home because of an undelivered package.
I'm wondering, why just N. America and excluding S. America which is also West of the Atlantic. I suppose they have a shortage of lawyers there.
I understand the car clubs operate their spares under a non-profit business, by a volunteer, as a service to its members which is great. N. American car clubs operate exactly that way including shipping spares to the U.K.
Maybe its the extra paper work involved in filing out an N. American commercial invoice declaration but that should only take 5 mins. Otherwise, I don't see a legitimate reason why some U.K. clubs will not to ship to N. American members. Maybe, these clubs could reconsider.
JAN

Post by JAN »

Unfortunately, lost parcels aren't the issue; it's what happens if a defective part is supplied which subsequently causes a fatal accident? We have insurance cover for this here on our side of the Pond, but we cannot get it for your side. And the damages from such a calamity would be in millions.

You might now say that the cances of such a thing happening are very remote, and thankfully this is true. But it could and does happen; even mighty Toyota, with millions of dollars at their disposal, have been forced into some very expensive and damaging recalls. And even if the part is fine but the accident is caused by faulty fitting? Ultimately, the supplying Club might be proven not to be liable, but how much will the lawyers charge to prove it? I realise that all this sounds like I have joined the 'all Americans are out to sue you' campaign, but not really: I'm just putting forward the reason why we cannot get insurance for your side of the water. Find us an insurance deal that works and then we can look at it again, but we tried (hard!) and couldn't find one. That's our problem and, unfortunately, yours too.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Jan I totally understand the liability aspect of this as it relates to a club or vendor. However, a private seller refusing to ship a radio is just being churlish. He has to go to the Post Office whoever buys it. Its final destination is of no consequence. That being said, if we didn't have jerks, we all wouldn't know how nice we are.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

Brett if I could get a contact in the uk to buy parts from the 105E club or other business that would be sweet , but would they be willing to take the risk with all this insurance issues. Jan talks about the fatal accident issues here and the risks involved. Accidents happen anywhere and I'm pretty sure that in the UK as well. So if they have that fear factor maybe they should just shut down there spares department to UK members as well. They are more in risk of getting into a insurance claim with someone in the UK then someone here on this side of the pond. Who in there right mine would go tru all that trouble to sue someone in the UK from here. I know I won't. But anyway this is just my opinion. Cheers
MR. EXPORT MAN
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

zephyrgary wrote:Jan I totally understand the liability aspect of this as it relates to a club or vendor. However, a private seller refusing to ship a radio is just being churlish. He has to go to the Post Office whoever buys it. Its final destination is of no consequence. That being said, if we didn't have jerks, we all wouldn't know how nice we are.
Gary
. Gary they think radios can cause fatal accident
MR. EXPORT MAN
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

ELFLACO65 wrote:Brett if I could get a contact in the uk to buy parts from the 105E club or other business that would be sweet , but would they be willing to take the risk with all this insurance issues. Jan talks about the fatal accident issues here and the risks involved. Accidents happen anywhere and I'm pretty sure that in the UK as well. So if they have that fear factor maybe they should just shut down there spares department to UK members as well. They are more in risk of getting into a insurance claim with someone in the UK then someone here on this side of the pond. Who in there right mine would go tru all that trouble to sue someone in the UK from here. I know I won't. But anyway this is just my opinion. Cheers
I would suggest getting active in one of the U.K. based clubs and develope a relationship with the members, someone is likley to sympathize and work with you. The fellow that I have used in the past is not currently in the U.K. right now so I have been buying from Burton Power and other outlets that will ship. On a side note it's sometimes a bonus to shop from the bigger companies VAT free only to find that Canada Post also failed to charge any tax or duty, I wonder if U.S.P.S. would let it slip through?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Back the original issue about shipping for UK based e-bay sellers, I have found that it is quite common that UK e-bay sellers just don't want the bother or they charge way too much for shipping (not all of course, but quite few). There are also a number of US e-bay sellers that don't want to bother with shipping outside of this country too.
European Ford Collector
ELFLACO65

Post by ELFLACO65 »

Brett I have there 2013 catalog. But they don't have much spares for the 105e. Any suggestion on other company's.
MR. EXPORT MAN