1933 Ford Model Y

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Roger Banks

1933 Ford Model Y

Post by Roger Banks »

I just purchased a virtually complete and reasonably straight 1933 Ford Model Y and am debating the next step. The engine had been disassembled and a British website recommended the substitution of a 100E from a '53-'59 Anglia. A friend is suggesting a domestic Ford V-8 60. Any opinions?
I'm guessing that this car was imported to Canada, as it is left-hand steering. Has anyone encountered another?
'33 Model Y
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

I have a '48 Prefect that used up its engine years ago. I played with the idea of swapping a V8 60 for some time but finally decided to go with a 100E instead. I'm glad I did. First, it is getting very hard to even find a 60 anymore although I did have one at the time. Second, parts to overhaul a 60 can be hard to find as well as expensive. Third, not everyone anymore has the knowledge to build a 60 as there are some differences from most other engines. Fourth, I'm not at all sure the rest of the driveline, frame and suspension could handle that additional torque. Finally, I have come to really like the look and feel of the little 4 banger. It's your car, of course, so whichever way you choose to go will still make for a great experience.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
Roger Banks

'33 Model Y engine

Post by Roger Banks »

Thanks. I was primarily considering the V-8 60 because my best friend has one and is acknowledged as the best flathead V-8 mechanic in the region. He thinks that it would be super cute if it would fit without butchering the car. I have yet to hear from anyone in North America with a Model Y and tend to think that it might be well to keep it closer to stock if we can find a 100E. Either way, it will look great alongside his '34 Tudor.
'33 Model Y
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Having a mechanic would certainly help and it would make an interesting installation but my other concerns still apply. The 100E actually looks like it belongs in the car. In fact, unless one is really familiar with it, they would not even suspect a swap. Finding a decent 100E should not be too hard. Check with Kip Motor, Anglia Obsolete and Anglia Brokers, just to name a few I have found reliable. Also those same sources should be able to supply everything you might need to overhaul your existing motor.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Hello Roger,

Wow! a LHD Model Y. These are rare. Is the speedometer MPH or KPH? I have seen some historic records suggesting that a few pre-war English Fords were officially imported into Canada, but this is the first actual Canadian spec Model Y that I have ever heard of. Yes, this is a rare car. Keeping it as stock as possible seems the way to go. Thanks for this post.

Michael
European Ford Collector
Roger Banks

Post by Roger Banks »

With further research, it turns out that it is a Ford Junior that was originally assembled in Copenhagen, Denmark. The speedometer seems to be in KPH, as it reads to (a still wildly optimistic) 130. One suggestion that came with it was that it came from Sweden. That may be true, and the name on the 1968 California title is Rasmussen. I'd like to contact his son for information on it. The numbers on the engine block are the same as the VIN on the frame, with only different letters, possibly indicating a rebuild of the original. Unfortunately, it's been disassembled and left apart. I'm not certain that it is all there, and am considering substitution of a 100E engine for driveability, if I can find one.
'33 Model Y
JAN

Post by JAN »

You need to know that the 100E engine doesn't drop straight in, though. You need to use the original Y timing case for the front engine mount, plus the 100E starter, which will need a hole making in the Y bellhousing to clear the pinion. But the main problem is the sump: the 100E sump well is at the front and the Y Type ate the rear, and they don't interchange. You have to weld the bottom of the Y sump to the top of the 100E one, then rearrange the oil pick up inside to suit. The oil filter also impinges on the chassis rail.
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

What Jan said. It had been long enough (1965 or so) that I had forgotten some of that. But those are the mods needed. Note too that the 100E starter is 12 volt so you will need a bunch of new bulbs but the hotter electrics will be well worth the effort and cost. Simple enough though. On the '48 Prefect, the 100E oil filter was not a problem with the frame though. I hammer formed a sheet metal cup for the hole in the bell housing and set it in epoxy. If I remember right, I cut the bottom off the 100E oil pan and welded it back on backwards instead of using the original pan. I also used the oil pump from the original engine so the pickup would be in the right part of the pan. As for finding a 100E engine, it shouldn't be too hard. Start with the folks I cited above. If they can't supply one they will have other suggestions.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Here is a 100E engine on eBay, supposed to be rebuilt already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Ford-10 ... 1313974395
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I hope that for the $$$ he is asking that the engine is rebuilt right?? I found out the hard way that it is not every machine shop that can do babit rods well.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

I wouldn't have them do babbits. Back in the 60s when I had mine rebuilt the shop converted it to insert. Those kits are still available and it is a pretty simple operation.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

You are right about the conversion bearing shells( I believe that I still have a few sets in my basement) it was my first rebuild on my Prefect, it was expensive and time consuming to have them babbited. The engine only covered about 7 or 8 thousand miles before they started to disintegrate. The next rebuild I did have them converted but I can't report on their life expectancy because the car still sits in my garage. Can you tell I have too many projects on the go?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Roger Banks

1933 Ford Model Y

Post by Roger Banks »

Well, I went ahead and bought the above-mentioned rebuilt engine. I don't know when I will get around to getting it installed, as my favorite mechanic is uprooting and moving clear across country - and retiring. This project is still behind a couple of others, but I can at least continue with research. Does anyone know of any other 1933 Model Y in the U.S. or even Canada? :?:
'33 Model Y
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Sounds like you are set for a project Roger. Hope all goes well for you and it really should. With those few mods that Jan noted above, it is really a simple swap. Not sure about the oil filter interference with the frame as it did not on my Prefect. You should be able to find enough parts to convert to remote mounting though. Keep us posted on your progress.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A