Did some updates to my Zephyr.

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
zephyrgary

Did some updates to my Zephyr.

Post by zephyrgary »

I installed 15x6 wheels with 185/60 front and 205/60 rear tires and I think the stance is good. After removing the brake drum weights I got a bit of a shimmy around 50MPH. I stuck 2oz weights on the side of the drum, as opposed to the face, and now it is as smooth as silk. You can see the new wood rim wheel, a voltmeter under the dash and a model Zephyr on top of it. The tach is coming out and a new Autometer should be here midweek, necessary because of the polarity change. New alternator installed using original fan belt. Dual fans installed with custom made bracket that attaches to factory holes that were unused to fan body top and anchored to fan body bottom with a strap to the original mounting bar. Spotlights (destroyed by baggage handlers) were refurbed using 5" sealed beam units and I think they look great. Also installed a 160 deg stat as in the winter it often runs too cold. (Below 150F).
Final touch is a custom painted nodding dog which is an exact replica of our beloved Binny.
BTW, the hub we used to install the steering wheel was a Motolita B25 designed for a Mini. In order to install the bottom 1/2 inch of the hub was ground away to clear the steering shroud. Also, the lower part of the shroud was trimmed by a hair for clearance. It is a great wheel as the other on is all misshapened from me hanging off of it. It was not very robust.

ImageImage
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Looks good and I guess that you will need that alternator for those fans, the little dog is a nice touch too.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

You are right Brett. It had Kenlowe fans on it before (it has no mechanical fan at all) but they only flowed 725CFM each. The new fans flow 2400CFM each so that is quite an improvement. It actually runs quite cool due to good air flow. Yesterday, it was 80 deg and I drove around doing errands and it stayed at 170F. And I did not need the fans at all. However, when summer hits in AZ, that's another story...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

80 degrees! I am jealous, it did cross my mind though how these cars would handle high summer where you are?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

The only problem I have is when it is over 100 degrees. The car is fine unless I am running errands with 2 or 3 stops less that a mile apart. The heat soak gets to be a little too much. In fairness, if traffic allows me to drive more than 2 miles in clean air it always cools down, but that isn't always possible, even in this little town. Also, a couple of times I had to wait at a light in the left turn lane and the gauge started to creep up. I accept that maybe it is just too hot for a 60 year old car (it does hit 115 sometimes) but I was just trying to get a little insurance going.
I liked the performance of this fan so much I put one on my Fiat engined Morris Minor convertible.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I am definitely going electric on my Anglia as I do have some old electric fans around here, they work great.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock