Ford Angial Engine

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

As Jim said before, you have the earlier 1172cc version of that engine, looks like this.
You can see the difference in the sump and absence of oil filter amongst other things, here is what the 100e version looks like.
You will notice the oil filter and water pump as well as the sump position.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

dick wrote:What I am hearing is that there are two engines that look the same but are different. If so how do you tell them apart? The numbers found on my engine are E93A6017 and C354659. :? :? :?
The number E93A means categorically that it is the earlier 10hp, 1172cc type. As well as Brett's pictures above, it has thirteen STUDS AND NUTS securing the cylinder head. Your engine was built between 1939 and 1959. The later 1172cc engine would be stamped 100E and have fourteen head BOLTS.

We covered all this a week ago on the 105E Forum.
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Sure happy these type of organizations are on the computer as I do not know where you could get information and help such as this without them.
Looking for information on old Ford Angilia flat head engine. 13 head bolt model with the generator mounted to the top front of the head.
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

All the evidence so far tells me you have the earlier 1172, particularly the top mounted generator and E93A cast into the block. Look back a the photos of my 100E. It has provisions in the casting for side mounting the generator. It has provisions in the casting for side motor mounts. It has an oil filter on the left front. It has a water pump cavity cast into the block behind the fan. Finally, the deep part of the oil pan is forward on the older and rear on the 100E (note that mine has been altered to fit the older car). If your is missing any of these cast in features then it is the older 1172.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
dick

Post by dick »

I am missing all of those features so mine will be the older model. Thanks for the message.
Looking for information on old Ford Angilia flat head engine. 13 head bolt model with the generator mounted to the top front of the head.
JAN

Post by JAN »

Some more photos:

this is actually an early 8hp unit, hence the different dynamo mounting.