1959 Consul Convertible items, accessories, manuals

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
rhartsoe

1959 Consul Convertible items, accessories, manuals

Post by rhartsoe »

I just acquired a 59 Eng. Ford Consul Convertible and its almost ready for paint. No rust anywhere. Would like a pair of mirrors, service manual, owners manual, and no where to get other parts. 3 speed on column, runs good, motor is rebuilt and interior is done except for doors.
I need to know where to get a new top. Also in some pics it looks like the top goes halfway back or all the way. Cannot find any closeups anywhere. Any info or places to find info is appreciated. This car has less than 30,000 original miles. my personal email is bobhartsoe@gmail.com[/b]
old cars, tractors, etc.
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

I've sent you an email Bob.

Paul
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

I have an original,hardbound book -
"FORD CONSUL/ZEPHYR/ZODIAC MK2 Super Profile"
by Michael Allen, in like new condition, that I'd sell for
the right price.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Not sure if the hi and lo-line windshields are the same. Might be cheaper to find something like this and buy the car just for the shield.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5232804706.html
the older i get,the faster i went...
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

When I contacted Pilkington for a screen for a Vauxhall it was just over $2000 delivered to my nearest airport. The actual screen was about $750. Don't let them charge you VAT, that tax is only applied locally.
rhartsoe

hi/low

Post by rhartsoe »

I'm so new at this car, not sure what the difference is between the hi and low line. Which would my conv. be? Problem is, Phoenix is almost as far away from NC as Britain.
Bob
old cars, tractors, etc.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

You should probably start by buying Doug's book or go to Amazon and find the story of Consuls, Zephyrs and Zodiacs mk1-4 by the same author. It is a very comprehensive book.
The MK2 sedan (saloon) roof was originally quite bulbous and was known retroactively as the high line. On Feb 25th 1059 Ford announced the Low line. It basically flattened the roof line by about 1 1/2 which gave the car a sleeker look. There were other changes too, mostly on the inside. I just looked it up and the later car also had a slightly deeper windshield (windscreen), so the two are not interchangeable.
Your car is prolly a low line but if you post pics we can tell or post the VIN and I will decode it for you.
Here's a link to some books.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/ ... hyr+zodiac

and the owners club in the UK.

http://www.mk2consulzephyrzodiacownersclub.co.uk/