brake shoes

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
mark

brake shoes

Post by mark »

My 100E brake shoes are barely worn but they have been soaked in brake fluid, axle oil, and they are probably from the 60's. So I have been looking for new brake shoes or having these relined. Both of which is expensive. What have you guys been doing for brake shoes?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Those shoes look like a fair deal, when I bought some last summer I was astonished to find that it was cheaper to buy them out of Scotland than any of my local suppliers here in Vancouver.
Don't forget to get the oil leaks fixed, 100e rear axle seals can be a bit of a crappy job to do.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

Brett Wilkie wrote:Those shoes look like a fair deal, when I bought some last summer I was astonished to find that it was cheaper to buy them out of Scotland than any of my local suppliers here in Vancouver.
Don't forget to get the oil leaks fixed, 100e rear axle seals can be a bit of a crappy job to do.
That's because the ones that leak aren't the grease seals in the hubs, but the oil seals inside the ends of the axle tube. They are fitted from the middle of the axle, so the axle must be removed and split to do the job. Once this is done, removing them is easy enough, but fitting requires a long tube, socket on long extensions, or similar to position and fit them.
mark

Post by mark »

thanks guys, I ordered the rear on ebay ...price was acceptable. Now for the front ...our local guy wants $25 per shoe to reline, another I found online wants $18 per shoe (+shipping) ...either way I am at about $100 for the front. A little more bearable with the ebay deal.
I have the 105E axle with all new seals and rebuilt wheel cylinders at all four corners so hopefully no more leaks.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Good thing it's a 105e axle, I was a bit concerned at fist when I read your post that you might be staying with the old 100e type. You likely know this already but the 105e comes in two different brake sizes 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 inch wide shoes. It's something to watch out.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock