headlight switch

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
mark

headlight switch

Post by mark »

hi all, I have a silly question I hate to even ask...for such a simple device, I am confused....how does the headlight switch work on the 100E? Does power go to post A? park lights to post S1? and headlights to S2? and to turn on the park lights, you rotate the knob clockwise? Then pull knob out for lights? It also has two detent positions when the knob is pulled out and the headlights are on in both detent positions. Is this correct? I tried unsuccessfully to get the park lights to come on in the middle detent posisiton. thanks
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

On your switch you could connect battery to A or S1 as the two become connected when the switch is rotated clockwise and S2 becomes hot when the knob is pulled out to the second detent. At least that's how my switch works when I put my ohm meter on it.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

That is how it seems to work...but when I first started messing with this thing, I thought it worked in the traditional fashion....pull out to first detent for park lights, second detent for headlights, the rotary motion I thought was for either dome light or dash lights but that did not make sense as there are only 3 terminals. So the rotary motion must be for park lights.
Its still puzzling to me what did they have in mind for the first detent....because the S2 is made in both detent positions. Thanks again Brett.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I don't know why the two detents, I notice that not all 100e switches actually have two but they all rotate for parking lights and pull for headlights.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

its cool to be different ! I kinda like the rotary action !