what muffler to use?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
mark

what muffler to use?

Post by mark »

hi all, I am ready to have the exhaust installed and I am looking for ideas on which muffler to use. I know this is a loaded question,,but what would sound good, not be too loud, not drone at speed inside of the 300E, and not sound like the can on the back of a Civic? The engine is the 2.3 with a header and I expect higher than normal RPMs with the 4:11 rear end. If I had to describe the sound I am after, it would be a deep muffled mellowtone. I liked the way the old MGBs and Triumph GT6 sounded. Any ideas?
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Really all depends on the construction of the exhaust to be honest, I find most times you go aftermarket or make your own you're going to end up with some drone, unless you stick a fat resonator somewhere inline.

I usually put magnaflows in everything I use or make and have never been disappointed. I would say maybe a 2" exhaust system with a straight through muffler and a shorter resonator halfway between the header and the muffler.

I had smithys on my old studebaker.. made it suprisingly quiet for being straight through and they were really cheap to buy.
mark

Post by mark »

Langlia....I have Smithy's on my flathead V8 and to me, they sound great and like you said...not loud. I heard a couple of folks say don't run a 4 cyl on a flowmasters...they will be "buzzy" at highway speeds. My muffler shop recommended a "turbo muffler".....it may just be his recommendation because that is what he sells ! Whatever I use needs to be somewhat short and flat to fit under the car.
What year model Studebaker do you have? 6 or 8 cylinder?
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Turbo muffler will sound the best probably and still give you enough backpressure so you dont lose a lot of torque.. not a big flowmaster fan. Never have been. They sounded alright on my mustangs. Havent decided too much on what im gonna do with my exhaust. Still gotta fix up the 4 branch and Ill probably go 2 inch pipe through a res and maybe a straight through muffler.. i dont know yet.. decisions decisions..

I had a 59 Lark 2dr hardtop with a 259 v8 :D
mark

Post by mark »

sounds like you are familiar with the turbo muffler. Any idea if it is louder than the smithy's? I feel like I want it one notch above the stock muffler in loudness. (Cant handle loud anymore) I know V8 and 4 banger will be different in sound.
Lark ! cool...I bet the Smithy's did sound good on it!!
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Well smithy's will be straight through so a turbo muffler with more chambers should in theory be quieter.

Look at Magnaflow

https://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-pe ... l-muffler/

Anything aftermarket that's performance orientated will be louder than stock

Lark sounded awesome with just straight headers. Smithy's made it so quiet!