1959 Ford Consul MKII Convertible Value

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
fastss396man

1959 Ford Consul MKII Convertible Value

Post by fastss396man »

Good morning, I'm new to your EnFo site. I've been in the old car hobby for many years, mostly Chevelle's. I also appraise old cars and was just recently contacted by the owner of a 1959 Ford Consul Convertible for valuation. This is a Left Hand drive car, a little over 60k original miles. It appears to be the Highline model as it has the half rounded gauge. This Consul has been in the same family since new, handed down from Father to Daughter. I'm struggling to find "Book" values for this line of cars. And I see that these Convertibles seem to be extremely rare... I'm scheduled to go look at this car in a week or two and any assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking specifically if you know of any "Book" or Website that lists Condition Values. I have found only 2 for sale over in Europe, one in very good #1 or #2 condition and one in very poor condition. If nothing else I could use a number of Consul Sedans for comps and would like to know how much additional value the Convertible adds. The pics I received of the Consul Convertible looks to be in very good condition. I thank you in advance for your assistance. Brian
Brian
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Welcome, Brian. If it is actually a '59 it should be a low-line. The VIN will give you the year and month built.
I don't think a U.S. price guide for English Fords is available. There is a price guide for German built Capris.
Try : http://www.mk2consulzephyrzodiacownersclub.co.uk/ and click on buying a MK2. That will give you an idea on what they're going for.
As for any classic car most buyers prefer close to originality.
Pictures would be nice.

Pete
fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Trying to post pics now...Image

I had read somewhere that a Highline had the "Half Round" Speedo and the Lowline had a Longer Slimmer more Rectangular Speedo. Again I'm reading tons of stuff and visiting many websites. So thanks for correcting any assumptions I may have made or have been misinformed about. Any and all info is welcome. Tkx, Brian
Brian
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Looks very nice. H/Ls were made from '56-'58. L/Ls '59-61.
This one is made in '58 and imported as a '59. This manual will show dash lay-outs, new prices, tech specs, and general info on the ZZC MK2s.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Pete Thanks, so this one is a Highline Then?
Brian
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I believe so.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Try this price guide from Practical Classics via Hagerty. This is UK based so the values will be a little higher than they would be here.

https://valuations.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/
Bear in mind that last year a much rarer, and also red, MK1 sold at Mecum auction for just $12000. That was a steal and the dealer has been trying to sell it for about $20k with no takers last time I looked.
the older i get,the faster i went...
fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Thanks for the link Gary, I hadn't run across this valuation tool yet... Unfortunately no info regarding this particular model again...

Sounds like from your reference that these cars bring bigger money on the other side of the pond than they do here in the US?
Brian
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

They are always worth more in their home market which means the UK, Oz and NZ where they were very aspirational cars for people around my age, 60 ish, who now have the disposable income to buy one. I just checked last month's Practical Classics price Guide and it states condition 1 around $12,300 (at current exchange rates) and $17,400 for concours condition. Slight deduction in those countries for being LHD, of course.
Hell, if that car runs and drives and stops and starts I would prolly give you $10K, subject to an inspection.
the older i get,the faster i went...
fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Gary sent you a PM, Tkx, Brian
Brian
fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Hi again guys, I have the VIN for this 59' if anyone can assist in decoding to usable information that would be great...
VIN: 204E168740 Tkx, Brian
Brian
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

December 15, 1958 starts with 162555. January 16, 1959 ends with 168779.
168740 is built at the end of December or early January. Most likely at the end of December if it's registered as a '58. Pete
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Ken Doehring,in Illinois,has an immaculate consul covertible.
He might be keeping up on the values of these.
Let me know if I can put you in contact with him.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
fastss396man

Post by fastss396man »

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. With the info I've received from the owner so far, I believe this Consul will fall in between a No1 and No2 Condition vehicle...
Brian