Google Earth & Ford Factories

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
IFHP
Site Admin

Google Earth & Ford Factories

Post by IFHP »

I have recently "discovered" Google Earth. It is an amazing and fun resource with which I could easily spend way too much time. Just for fun, I've been combing to world looking at Ford locations, so far I've looked at Ford World Headquarters and the Rouge in Dearborn, MI. General Pachecho in Argentina, Broadmedows in Melbourne, Australia, Dagenham, England and Cologne, Germany.

The Dagenham, plant is really easy to spot due to its distinctive ship loading facility on the Thames (location just east of London). It looks like the Dagenham photo may be fairly old as it looks like the plant is still producing new cars, an activity that stopped in 2002.

The Cologne-Niehl plant is a little harder to spot (just north of Cologne on the west bank of the Rhine), however when you do find it, the resolution is so good that can actually see people sitting on benches beside the Rhine! The original 1931 core of the plant can be distinguished by the block FORD letters on the exhaust stack (though you have to be pretty close to the ground to see it). Among the cars on the ground appeared to be some Fiesta STs, distinguishable by their bright colors and big body stripe.

Michael (originally posted on FordEurope.net)