Junkyard Photo

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
BigFred

Junkyard Photo

Post by BigFred »

A guy local to me posted an ad on Facebook Marketplace saying he has a lot of foreign & domestic classic car parts in his junkyard. The sample photos he posted showed a lot of cars in very rough shape. I asked if he had any English Fords and he said he had "a Capri". Said it was in the background of this photo. Looks like a Consul Capri to me, but can't see much of the car. What do you think? I'm not looking to purchase; just wondering if that's what it is.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

It does look like a Consul Capri.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Yes it is, a good source for front struts with disc brakes if it all hasn't rusted solid.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

The junkyard guy posted two more photos of that Consul Capri (confirming that it's in pretty rough shape)…
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

It's a shame that it's left to rot away, I do like these old Capri GT models. As I said before, the front strut/brake assemblies are worth saving as they are good for 105e and 100e bodies. It is a nice looking car although I never had a chance to drive one to see what it's really like?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

Sad how this guy didn't do anything to preserve the hundreds of cars he's got. Maybe one of these is salvageable (Triumph Herald & Nash Metro, I believe)...
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I had one in High School and would like to own another before I go...
the older i get,the faster i went...
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

That Capri might not be as bad as it looks. Very rare cars . Unfortunately almost no reproduction sheet metal available . Similar under the skin to a MK1 Cortina . Look at some of the total balls of rust some of the guys in the UK bring back to life. Just takes courage and determination.

Greg
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Actually, Greg I believe they are more Anglia based than Cortina. The Corsair was Cortina based.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Definite saver.These things are worth a lot of money.
I sold both of mine for about $500 each,including lots of
extra parts.
These had a lot of Cortina parts in them,but the front
struts were only used on the Capri & Classic 315.
I still have the factory parts & shop manual for these,
as well as lots of literature,etc.,which I might end up selling.
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

They are substantially bigger than an Anglia. As is the sedan version. Actually all the British Fords have quite a few shared characteristics. But lots of differences as well. I always thought the Capri was a good looker, however they were poor sellers. For some reason the Cortina was tremendously successful and the poor Capri quickly dropped from the line up.

Greg
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

There were a number of Classic/Capri vehicles in my neighbourhood when I was a 10 year old. I did really like the 2 door Capri GT, the boot was hugely long. It reminds me of the 59 two door Chev, just smaller.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

There were a number of Classic/Capri vehicles in my neighbourhood when I was a 10 year old. I did really like the 2 door Capri GT, the boot was hugely long. It reminds me of the 59 two door Chev, just smaller.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

First one I recall was about 1970 in North Van, I would have been about 12 years old at the time. . It seemed strange, but I found it pleasing. For quite a while I didn't really know what it was.

The Mercury Capri had recently been introduced with a fair bit of advertising and I assumed it was an earlier version. Distantly related I suppose but only barely. Likewise on the 59-60 Chevy or 60 Ford Starliner resemblance , cars I also liked a lot at the time.