bogus member

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
peteleo

bogus member

Post by peteleo »

Strange that this site tolerates one bogus member ( recent list +250 times ) to invade the registry with graffiti. As it stands no new legitimate members will join.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Missed that - do you have a name so we can not respond if he/she/it posts?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

He wouldn't dare respond that would blow his cover. This will continue unless James puts a stop to it now.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

peteleo wrote:He wouldn't dare respond that would blow his cover. This will continue unless James puts a stop to it now.
Still confused but I will leave it here.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I am not sure who we are talking about here? Can you clarify the reference to the (recent list + 250 times)? Sorry if I seem confused but I am? Did I miss something?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Check out the memberlist starting with #573 to #759. I'm i the only one that suspects fraudulent activity ?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I had to study that for a bit, good sleuthing on your part. Time for a cleansing purge I think.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Ya, there have been over a hundred "fake" accounts, but I haven't authorized any of them, that I know of, to actually post. If any get through and actually start posting, please message me.

-James
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

stanchfi wrote:Ya, there have been over a hundred "fake" accounts, but I haven't authorized any of them, that I know of, to actually post. If any get through and actually start posting, please message me.

-James
I sent you a PM.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

James,

This person will continue to create fake accounts. I would suggest cleaning up 300 bogus activities soon.

Occasionally, i have the same issue on my website and usually is sorted within a day. That will discourage fakers and will look somewhere else to annoy.

Pete
Sideways

Re: bogus member

Post by Sideways »

peteleo wrote:Strange that this site tolerates one bogus member ( recent list +250 times ) to invade the registry with graffiti. As it stands no new legitimate members will join.
Now it has been clarified somewhat ...while these things are a nuisance, why would that prevent others from joining?

Serious question.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

I think I've got the mess cleaned up now, looks like out of all of them, there were only 2 legit looking accounts. I've made some changes to hopfeully prevent bots from creating accounts again.

-James
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Thanks, James. I know how annoying this can be. It takes some work to keep a website clean.
I follow other websites and occasionally check out other members on the list to see what part of the world they live in plus share similar interests.
If one comes across a site where the last 250 members are bogus it may discourage serious members from joining.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

peteleo wrote:Thanks, James. I know how annoying this can be. It takes some work to keep a website clean.
I follow other websites and occasionally check out other members on the list to see what part of the world they live in plus share similar interests.
If one comes across a site where the last 250 members are bogus it may discourage serious members from joining.
And how do we know someone is bogus?

(I don't scan membership lists.)

Yes it may be annoying for the webmeister but how does it affect everyone else?

Again, a serious question - I must be missing something here :?: