8HP or 10HP?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
BruceD

8HP or 10HP?

Post by BruceD »

I know this topic has been covered before, but reading through the threads, I am still not certain how to visually identify the difference. Much of the discussion is about the difference between a 10HP and the later 100E engine. I'm clear on that. But I don't know how to tell the difference between 8HP and 10HP.

What I have: a 1949 RHD Anglia E494A. The engine is 13 head studs with nuts. The dynamo is top-mounted. The engine appears to be original stock equipment (but who can tell, right?) The vehicle data plate says 'Engine No. Y377878". On the top of the cylinder head is a small data plate that says "23N". On the Passenger side of the block (THE USA PASSENGER SIDE!) is a series of numbers/letters that appears to be "19E 6015AR". There is another small data plate affixed to the bulkhead behind the center of the engine (maybe a chassis or body number) that reads "640/7517". If it helps, the carb is a Zenith 26VF.3"

So, what do I have? 8HP or 10HP? Thanks for all your expertise, and let me know if I can provide any additional information.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I gathered some info from Dave Turner, Ford Popular & small sidevalves.

E494A Anglia 8hp ( 933cc ) 1948-53. Engine # Y-377878 made in 1949.
between: Jan Y-373551 to July Y-385248 ).

Couldn't find the horse power rating for a 933cc but 28 hp would be close.

Y= 8hp
C=10hp

19E-6015AR = EnFo block part#
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I was just gonna say that... :D
the older i get,the faster i went...
JAN

Post by JAN »

19E was the original numeric code for the Model Y.
BruceD

Post by BruceD »

After I posted the question, I found the Engine Numbers section on Small Ford Spares, and it confirms what everyone says here; namely that a 1949 Anglia with that engine/chassis plate would have an 8HP.

Now, to deepen the mystery a bit, I located an additional set of numbers on the driver's side of the engine (again, driver's side is the USA side). The letters look hand-etched, in a slanting script. They read "R321645". According to the Small Ford Spares website, an "R" in front of the numbers means it is a factory-supplied replacement unit. Since this is NOT the original engine, I can't determine anything from the numbers that are on the car itself. I can only use the numbers on the engine. The Small Ford Spares website provides year-by-year information on the "C" blocks and the "Y" blocks, but not on the "R" blocks.

So it seems to make sense that, depending on when the engine was replaced, it could have been with either an 8HP or a 10HP, right?

In addition to the casting numbers, are there any visual external differences between an 8HP and a 10HP ?