Save the planet - "Drive a Classic"

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
peteleo

Save the planet - "Drive a Classic"

Post by peteleo »

I believe this has been posted before. Just fun to post again.

It's been calculated that the production of 1 new motor vehicle produces roughly the same green house gases ( if you believe the AGW crap ) as an average older car in reasonable tune produces in TEN Years of daily use.

The design life of a new vehicle is, depending who you listen to, somewhere between 4-6 years.

If this is true we can assume that a 10 year old car is "carbon neutral", any vehicle older than 10 is "carbon negative".

Think then how environmentally responsible it is for us to keep our 40+ year old vehicles in regular use.

Anonymous
Brett Wilkie

Re: Save the planet - "Drive a Classic"

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Interesting thoughts, I have heard though that electric cars are quite environmentally bad to produce and dispose of, true or not?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

There's quite a lot of info on the advantages / disadvantages of EV from what I've read it's mainly the manufacturing process of the batteries are harmful to the environment.

Copied:

" Electric cars have their own dirty little secret: Every electric vehicle, and most hybrid vehicles, rely on large lithium-ion batteries weighing hundreds of pounds. One of the largest, the battery for the Mercedes-Benz EQC, comes in at 1,400 pounds. Typically made with cobalt, nickel, and manganese, among other components, these batteries cost thousands of dollars and come with an environmental burden: They require ingredients sourced from polluting mines and smelters around the world, and they can ultimately contaminate soil and water supplies if improperly dispose"

By 2030 most cars on the road will be EVs. by then our practical classics will be worth a fortune, little good will it do us by then, for some of us.
joeyramone30

Post by joeyramone30 »

Sitting here in Texas with single digit temps and blackouts. We have neighbors that have been without power for over 24 hours. Good thing we haven't been forced into electric cars yet.
mark

Post by mark »

I heard its been brutal in that part of the country. I even heard some factories are closing ...not because of the cold...but to lighten the load on the electrical grid. I heard on the radio where Ford is asking their dealers to help.....
https://wgntv.com/news/ford-asks-texas- ... usinesses/
stay warm!
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

It was so clod here today in AZ that I had to roll mysleeves down. :D
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...