Ford Cortina MK2 Auto - Potential project or parts only?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Welshie

Ford Cortina MK2 Auto - Potential project or parts only?

Post by Welshie »

I have a friend who is looking to get rid of his car collection. Most are brave project cars or spares only but he has a 2 Door Cortina MK2 Auto. I believe it to be a 1500 based on what little I have seen under the bonnet (looks to have a 1500 GT pre crossflow inlet manifold) so I don't know if that is the original engine or not.

I have yet to inspect the floors but as it is a dry climate car I expect them to be solid. The rest of the body is solid but has patina rust. The interior is severely sun damaged and missing door cards. It has no title.

I have contemplated 3 options:

1. Taking parts off it that would be desirable to me
2. Using the car as a base for the Zetec or Miata engine conversion (track only if I could not get a title) .

It is extremely hard to value cars without seeing in person I know, but is it worth nothing but scrap value or worth saving? This is assuming the floor/chassis isn't rusted out. If it is worthless I feel less guilty about cannanalising it for parts, but also respect that others would be upset.

Thank you.
Brett Wilkie

Re: Ford Cortina MK2 Auto - Potential project or parts only?

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The earliest Mk2 Cortina's still had 1500 non-crossflow engines but they also had the later 6 bolt, lip seal crank. If you are lucky, that block could be the coveted L block that will take a good overbore to bring the displacement up and still be a rev-happy motor. I don't recall the details offhand but it is worth researching. The 1500 in a modified state would be fun in an Anglia but never of any serious power if that what one is looking for, the Zetec would be far more powerful and reliable.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Welshie

Re: Ford Cortina MK2 Auto - Potential project or parts only?

Post by Welshie »

Thanks Brett,

Parked next to it are the remnants of an early Mk2 Cortina that was a 1500GT. I suspect that the engine from this is now in the auto so you could be right, it could be an L block.

I'll bear that in mind.