72 cortina restoration begining to eventuall completion

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
racer36

72 cortina restoration begining to eventuall completion

Post by racer36 »

this is my 72 cortina that i bought off of Michael. i plan on a full restoration this is how it looked when i bought it. this also was day one

Image[/img]

day 2 and day 3 i got most of the car stripped and ready for body prep to fix the usuall rust holes Image
Image i also found out that the fenders had been tarred onto the car that made for dificult removal Image
day 4 and 5 ive been stripping the old paint and bondo off im finding some intersting patchwork as i go Image Image
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Looks like a good start, keep us informed of your progress!

-James
IFHP
Site Admin

72 Cortina

Post by IFHP »

Dalton,

Wow, I'm really impressed to see so much progress! Keep up the good work. What is picture #3?

Michael
racer36

Post by racer36 »

picture #3 is the passanger side headlight bezal
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well heres an update on my progress over the last week the roof is all stripped along with the pasanger rear quarterand some other odds and ends Image

the orange stuff on the door jam is paint stripper much faster than a sander
this is the front valance and as luck would have it i found some more patch work under a 1/4 inch of bondo
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Looking great...well, the progress is looking great! grinding off bondo is always fun, like a treasure hunt.

Keep up the good work

-James
raypmcc

WOW! great progress!

Post by raypmcc »

Yikes, Racer36 - - what kind of energy bars do U consume? it's great to C U make such FAST progress - - I'll have to stop by some day on one of my trips east! Ray P.
daily driver is tan '79 Fiesta - towed behind motorhomes I deliver
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Dalton,

How is the progress this month?

Michael
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well the progress hasnt been as fast this month ive managed to get one fender and the front valance done.
this is the top front corner on the drivers fender that was completly rusted out.
this is the wheel arch on the drivers fender also
this is the bottom corner of that fender.
this is the front valance
and this is the passanger side of the fender

the other reason i havent done alot on the car is i recently bought a 66 mrk1 cortina that im trying to get done so i can use it as my daily driver.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Wow, a Mk I. Can you post a picture of it? It looks like you have been bitten by the Euro-Ford collector bug.

The only known cures are lack of storage or financial exhaustion… :wink:
racer36

Post by racer36 »

no problem heres a couple of shots when i got it, theres some dents but there is very little rust. its a 66 with only 57000 miles on it. seems kind of unusual though because its a 2 door automatic, but then again im not sure how popular the automatic tranny is.
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well i know i havent been posting on my progress as much as i should but heres some pictures of were im at.

its finaly in primer ive just got some minor body work left and then it will be ready for some color
e9tac

Post by e9tac »

Nice progress :) .
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Dalton,

Thanks fort the updated pictures. It make me happy to see your progress.

Do you still need a parking lamp?

Michael
carrat

Post by carrat »

The pictures of your car take me back a lot of years. I owned a MkIII Cortina back in NZ. I bought it with an early V6 already installed, From memory a 2.8litre, I then bought a 3.0 litre Capri motor, a 5 speed Toyota trans, had a bell housing made to put the two together and proceeded to cut the firewall and half the trans tunnel out of the car. I positioned the motor and trans on blocks so the air cleaner was under the windscreen and started to rebuild everything. Once all that was done I had a custom exhaust built, mounted a small block Chev radiator and made an aluminum fan shroud and started the car. Then I left the country, never drove the car. I gave it to my brother inlaw to use as a race car, he never did. Unfortunately my father ended up cutting the car up and selling off what he could. :cry:
never be scared, build it for yourself