72 cortina restoration begining to eventuall completion

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well guys i havent had much time to work on the body of the car because im in college but luckily the college im attending gives me a great chance to work on the drive train so i thought it was about time to update you all on my progress ive decided to install a 2.3 liter ford 4 cylinder in place of the stock 2 liter the 2.3 is built up quite alot also. i went with this swap as it wouldnt alter the body in any way. im also going to be rebuilding the transmission and rear end in the coming weeks of school, so this is were i stand at the moment hopefully this summer i can get a nice new coat of paint on the car and start to reassemble it.
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

The 2.3 has a different bolt pattern where it bolts to the transmission among other things is it not??
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Dalton,

What are you going to do with the 2000? (put in the Capri?). It seemed like that 2000 ran pretty good and didn't smoke. From all thoughs receipts that came with the car it looked like the owner in the 90's had rebuilt it.

Michael
racer36

Post by racer36 »

dave
ive heard that they were the same bell and just the dowl pins were a different size but i guess ill find out for sure when i pull the trans out of the car

michael
um im not quite sure what i will do with the 2.0 that was in it being that its number matching i believe. i will probaly just set it aside in storage and end up rebuilding the engine in the capri
canzus

Post by canzus »

Dave A wrote:The 2.3 has a different bolt pattern where it bolts to the transmission among other things is it not??
The bell housing is the same, the size of the dowels is different, you need
stepped dowels to mount the bell on the engine...
SteveL
3 Capris
2 XR4Tis
racer36

Post by racer36 »

canzus
thanks for clearing that up for me i wasnt posative myself but had heard that do you know if the clutch assembly is the same also
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well ive just about got the engine done for the car so i figured i throw a pic of it up

canzus

Post by canzus »

racer36 wrote:canzus
thanks for clearing that up for me i wasnt posative myself but had heard that do you know if the clutch assembly is the same also
If I'm not mistaken, you'll need a custom pilot bushing, but can use the
2.0L clutch disc with the 2.3L cover, assuming you're using the stock 2.0L
transmission...
SteveL
3 Capris
2 XR4Tis
Bigkev

Post by Bigkev »

I was led to believe that the 2.3 was a sluggish motor - the 2.0 would be much easier to use - and give a better performance
racer36

Post by racer36 »

hi kev
in stock form the 2300 may be a little sluggish but are extremely tuneable and are a ruggeder engine than the 2000 they have 4 cam towers instead of the 2000 wich only has three and here in the states its easier to get performance parts for the 2300 and this one is far from stock its .060 over bore with hyperutectic pistons , moly rings arp rod bolts balanced rotating assembly i put big valves in the head 1.89 in. with a 1.59 ex. solid lifters a .465 lift cam with 300 degrees of duration high performance springs a 350 2bbl holey carb and the head has been shaved .100
Bigkev

Post by Bigkev »

Wow - thats impressive - we get a few over here but I have never come across one that has been tuned to that extent.

:shock:
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well guys i know its been a long time since ive posted on my progress but well i figured you all didnt want to just see more pictures of bondo. so after the long wait its finaly in color
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Two thumbs up...
racer36

Post by racer36 »

well ive got most of the car together so i figured i put some more pics up before i went back to college

i changed the paint up alittle and went with the flat black hood and black in between the tail lights for somthin different
satkyn

Post by satkyn »

oh no....respray complet including the heating and wiper motor :roll: :idea: :evil:
1971 Cortina Mk3 1,6OHV XL - virtual car
1972 Cortina Mk3 1,6OHV L Estate - by foot
1960 Taunus G13AL 12m