mystery car

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
stanchfi
Site Admin

mystery car

Post by stanchfi »

Yesterday I saw a car that I couldn't identify. It looked to be from the mid to late 90's and the only identification I could find was a "powered by Lotus" badge behind the front wheels.

The car had a sunken grill with 4 round headlights, it reminded me of the new mustang design. and over the headlights were what I would call "flip up eyebrows"?? it did not look like the whole light flipped up, just a small part right over the light.

Any ideas what this could be?

-James
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Sounds like a newer Lotus Elan,even though it didn't have a
Lotus engine.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

I did a google image search for Lotus Elan, and the body style looked similar but none of the images had the right grill.

thanks anyhow
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

I may have figured out the mystery car. Today I saw a Geo Storm that had the same style front end, but the center grill was all wrong.

I did a quick google search and came up with this:

"The Geo Storm was sold by General Motors but manufactured by Isuzu. It was a stripped-down and rebadged version of the Isuzu Impulse. The all-wheel drive system, turbocharger, and Lotus-tuned suspension had been removed. The Storm was small and designed to be sporty and economical, both in fuel economy and in its sticker-price. "

When searching for "Isuzu Impulse" I found this:

"1990 Isuzu Impulse XS
It is mechanically similar to the Geo Storm, which preceded it as a late 1989 / early 1990 model.
The Impulse received an alternate front and rear treatment and received luxury options that were not available on the Storm.
Lotus Tuned Suspension was standard on all Impulses and badging proclaiming this appears on the doors and tail."

From the images I've found on line, it looks very similar, but must have had some custom work done to it.

-James
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

James,

That was my first thought - but I didn't think there
were any of those still running.I was going to buy some
of those badges from the local Izusu dealer - oh well.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"