Mk 3 in Northern, Ontario, Canada

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Dave A

Mk 3 in Northern, Ontario, Canada

Post by Dave A »

Here is a decent Mk 3 Cortina I spied on holidays. It is in Ignace, Ontario, Canada. The car has been sitting there for a few years but is for sale and would be a shame to see it go to waste. The present owner (repair shop)obtained the car when the timing belt broke on the previous owner. Judging by the Alberta plates my guess is that someone was travelling east and left the car there after the timing belt broke. I had a quick look around the car and it isnt too bad. The interior was good and only had something like 40,000 miles on it. Hoping a member on here from the Ontario or Northern U.S. will want it. I have the contact info if anyone is interested. I think he wanted around a thousand or so dollars for it.

racer36

Post by racer36 »

hey could you send me his contact info to thherrick@frontiernet.net im intrested in buying it
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

pm sent.
IFHP
Site Admin

Mk III

Post by IFHP »

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to stop and photiograph the car and share it with us. It is extra cool that it is a GT, looks like it might be a '73.

Michael
raypmcc

cool mk III GT

Post by raypmcc »

Looks like the foto was taken last summer(?).....2 green to B now! Alberta cars R usually pretty rust free, tho lots of salt in used in cities like Calgary & Edmonton.....Customs clearance into the USA should B easy - -just forms to fill out - - maybe a bit of duty since it's a U.K. car...not up on all that stuff anymore.....is the left rear window broken out? - - -could have rain or snow damage.....Michael - - do U still have the GT parts car? someone PLS go & rescue that GT Mk III!
daily driver is tan '79 Fiesta - towed behind motorhomes I deliver
satkyn

Post by satkyn »

Oh....a thousand dollars? Why it is so far :cry: ...........and my cousin, who is canadian moved back to czech 2 weeks ago......damned :evil:
1971 Cortina Mk3 1,6OHV XL - virtual car
1972 Cortina Mk3 1,6OHV L Estate - by foot
1960 Taunus G13AL 12m
Dave A

Re: Mk III

Post by Dave A »

IFHP wrote:Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to stop and photiograph the car and share it with us. It is extra cool that it is a GT, looks like it might be a '73.

Michael
What is it that makes it look like a 73?
Dave A

Re: cool mk III GT

Post by Dave A »

raypmcc wrote:Looks like the foto was taken last summer(?).....2 green to B now! Alberta cars R usually pretty rust free, tho lots of salt in used in cities like Calgary & Edmonton.....Customs clearance into the USA should B easy - -just forms to fill out - - maybe a bit of duty since it's a U.K. car...not up on all that stuff anymore.....is the left rear window broken out? - - -could have rain or snow damage.....Michael - - do U still have the GT parts car? someone PLS go & rescue that GT Mk III!
Yes the photo was taken in summer....summer of 06 actually. I stopped and checked on the car in the summer of 07 and it didn't look any worse for wear. The LR window is missing so the interior will be taking a beating if something isn't dont soon. The panel between the back seat and the back window was missing as well. There is rust in the rocker panels and rear valence but the underside still looked okay as did most of the rest of it. A member on here talked to the present owner recently and he actually wont take less than $1500.00 for it. I guess he would rather let it rot than let it go for a reasonable price. In any event if something isnt done soon than the car will be too far gone.

Yes they do use alot of salt in Edmonton. I lived there for 25 years.

Well it's a U.K. car but the mk 3 was an official Ford import here in Canada so shouldnt be any different to take in to the U.S. than any other Canadian car of that vintage I wouldn't think...would it?
Dave A

Re: Mk III

Post by Dave A »

Dave A wrote:
IFHP wrote:Dave,

Michael
What is it that makes it look like a 73?
The 73 Canadian model , by law, had to equipped with retractable front bumper. If you look closely at this pic of a 73 you can tell the bumper is sitting forward of the normal position. Having seen them in the flesh, the bumper actually sat about 4 or 5 inches forward of that of the 72 model with a flexible rubber piece in between....the same idea as what they did to the Mavericks, Pintos and all of the cars in that year.

Maybe it's the GT steering wheel that looks 73?....
raypmcc

Post by raypmcc »

Well, since the Cortina GT does not seem to have the 5 mph crash-proof bumpers, guess it's a '72.......does car have after-mkt alum. wheels ?........... I'm thinking that since the car was mfg'd in U.K., it's not exempt from U.S. Customs duty under NAFTA.......but even if dutiable, the amt. should be very small........it's old enuf to be exempt from US DoT & EPA standards, & probably complies anyway........
daily driver is tan '79 Fiesta - towed behind motorhomes I deliver
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

I brought the Yellow MKIII down from Victoria,BC,
in (I think) 2001.I went through the Truck Route,rather
than the main border crossing.Took about 10 minutes,
& cost me $90.
Just be sure to have your paperwork in order.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

raypmcc wrote:Well, since the Cortina GT does not seem to have the 5 mph crash-proof bumpers, guess it's a '72.......does car have after-mkt alum. wheels ?........... I'm thinking that since the car was mfg'd in U.K., it's not exempt from U.S. Customs duty under NAFTA.......but even if dutiable, the amt. should be very small........it's old enuf to be exempt from US DoT & EPA standards, & probably complies anyway........
They are wheels from a late eighties GT Mustang