Anglia Transformation (Part 3) Broken dreams and bolts

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Anglia Transformation (Part 3) Broken dreams and bolts

Post by stanchfi »

Tonight I wasn't so lucky, I stated by giving the turn signal surround screws another try, still no luck. I sprayed them off with some carb cleaner to try to dissolve the undercoating, it seemed to work pretty well, but I am going to let it sit overnight.

Then I tried to remove the passenger side turn signal and ended up breaking off 2 of the 3 bolts. I am not too worried since they appear not to be part of the unit itself, but bolts with square shoulders, similar to bumper bolts. I doubt I can find direct replacements, but a small bolt should work, and it will be hidden behind the lens.

The really bad part is I broke off the outside bolt on the passenger side turn signal surround. While lying on my back cursing, I traced the wires trying to decide if lumps were connections or just tar and dirt. No luck there either. Though every wiring diagram and illustration I have found shows connectors

Next I moved to the door panels, or door cards as the British call them. Right after removing the window crank and door opening lever I realized I had not paid any attention to their orientation. I quickly grabbed the camera and took a couple pictures of the other side for reference.

In order to get the panel off, I unscrewed the top of the arm rest and removed it to find 2 other screws holding it to the door, making sure to put the screws back in their place. I carefully unclipped the edge of the door panel but was stumped because something was holding the panel to the door near the center. After scratching my head for a while I realized the arm rest screws I put back in their place were holding it. I was surprised to find the plastic dust shield looking like it had never been removed. I made sure to use a marker to label it and draw an up arrow to make sure I got it back in the right way.

After looking around in the door with a light, it looks like the door handle is
just held on with one screw and a nut, with the linkage secured by a cotter pin. I sprayed them down with penetrating oil, and try them tomorrow.

Before calling it a night I took a look under the hood to see where the front wiring harness went. A set of connectors were all plain as day. Though I will need to pop a grommet out of the wheel well to get all the wiring through for the lights. I think I will warm it up with the heat gun before trying to pop it out.

I did some more research on painting today. Originally I figured I would buy a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) paint gun, for around $100 and get a better compressor for a couple hundred. After searching around for quite a while I found I would need to buy a $1000+ compressor to get the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) that the gun would require. I'm hoping to stop by a paint shop tomorrow and see if they rent equipment, or have any suggestions.

-James