Where are the Mk.1 Cortina's?

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
beast02

Where are the Mk.1 Cortina's?

Post by beast02 »

Well, in my frustraing search for a 2 door Mk.1 Cortina, I have come to the conclusion that I need to find out, what has happened to the Mk.1 Cortina's? Something like 7500 were brought to the US, so what has happened to them.

I know the fact that they were a cheap car, and rusted easily, claimed a lot of them. So did they all make it to the crushers???

I seem to have found that many parts and cortina's are in the hands of a select people.

So is it just a fact that there aren't many left, or that there are a few people that control some of the supply and are just sitting on them.

It makes me feel like there are Cortina's sitting in fields or farmyards in the middle of California or Oregon, waiting for me to discover them!

Anyway, just my rant/curiosity into where the cortina's have gone!
66gt

Post by 66gt »

beast02,

I guess most people that have them seem to covet them for a long time, I guess maybe to preserve them. The other observation that I have found is there are not many at ABFM meets. I found one once behind a defunct gas station abandoned back around ten yrs. ago and hauled it home to find a home for it because I did not have any room to keep it.
You might try finding one by putting an ad out in Craigs list throughout the country, you never know.
I just recently saw a for sale ad on a UK site advertising a 66gt in Portugal for $22,500 US....WOW!

Steve
beast02

Post by beast02 »

Yes, I have only seen a few at British meets which I find disappointing! I have also found actually finding the people with them is hard! I found a few in Cali, one guy was a bit tough to deal with, and wanted quite a bit for a project GT, only convenience was it was near where I lived.....I keep thinking I should have bought it....but then the amount of work it required is possibly beyond me. Another guy in Cali, he has one......I just hope its not out of my price range!

It would be good to see more people with these cars on the internet though, it seems there really isn't much of a place for people in the US besides the email list, but then you don't ever see pictures or project posts etc.

I just like these cars! And don't see enough!!

-Bryan