Euro-Ford Spotting

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Just saw a decent looking (no visable rust, but bits missing) Mk I Fiesta Ghia at my local Taget parking lot today. Nice to see.
European Ford Collector
Elias Obelyn

Re: Euro-Ford Spotting

Post by Elias Obelyn »

IFHP wrote:I've just returned from a 3,000 mile round-trip family road trip from Olympia, Washington to San Diego, California and points in between. We make this trip every 18 months or so and for added amusement I count Euro Fords. The trick to counting cars on long trips is to pick a type that you know that you will see some of, but not in overwhelming numbers (as a kid I remember counting Rambler and AMC cars). For that reason my count excludes Contours and Focuses. It also excludes any Euro-Fords seen at the homes of any EFONA members I might be fortunate enough to visit along the way (that would be cheating!).

The problem is the numbers keep dwindling each trip. In May 2004 the count was nine, in October 2005 four and May 2007 just two
e cig

For anyone interested here is what I saw on those three West coast trips:

May 2004

3 Mk II Capris (all in the LA area)
2 Scorpios (San Francisco and Arcata, CA)
1 100E Anglia (Mojave Dessert, CA)
1 Fiesta (Cave Junction, OR)
1 Ka (San Diego with Mexican plates)
1 1990s Transit Camper Van (San Francisco with Austrian plates)

October 2005

1 XR4Ti (Centraila, WA)
2 Mk I Cortinas (San Diego and Davis, CA)
1 300E Thames van (on a flatbed truck headed south near Salem, OR)

June 2007

1974 Capri 2000 (I-405 near Long Beach, CA)
1988/89 Scorpio (Alameda, CA)

If this inspires anyone else to count Euro-Fords on their next 1,000+ mile
road trip, please post the results here.

Michael MacSems
I love journey. Few weeks ago we made a journey which is the best journey ever. It is also in my memory now. i will discuss about it later.
Melvin Campbell
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

On trips to California, the number of vintage Euro-Fords seen was ZERO :(
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I've been seeing a Mk I Fiesta Ghia around my neighborhood recently... no photo yet.
European Ford Collector
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Just got back from 18 day trip around the North Island of NZ and saw only 1 Mk2 4dr Cortina, a Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 Zephyr, 73 MGBGT, Triumph 2500. British cars are becoming thin on the roads even in New Zealand. I hope it was because it is winter in NZ and the cars were off the roads until the sun comes out.
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

I travel all over Northern California everyday with my truck driving job and to day was the first time I have seen another Cortina. I was in Balmont Ca and saw this 1970 GT. Pete do you know who owns this as it was in your neck of the woods.

peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hi Brent,

I see this car everyday and parks it next to my house. It belongs to my brother who has owned it for more then 35 years.

Pete
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Thought that it might be your brothers.
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

The car looks really sweet.
European Ford Collector
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I have been in the U.K. for six weeks and thought I might see a lot of classic Fords running around but that is not the case. I have seen a few 105e and Capris, one sit up and beg and little else, even the car museums I have gone to seem to not like Ford too much. I did find this nice Consul in a museum near Stratford, out of the hundreds of cars there I could only find two Fords.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hi Brett,

At one time Ford set up the Heritage Museum in Dagenham. Not sure what happened to that museum. This time of the year there should be some Ford meets or gatherings around the Country.
My wife and i are talking about traveling to England next year if time permits.
Enjoy your stay.

Pete
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

peteleo wrote:Hi Brett,

At one time Ford set up the Heritage Museum in Dagenham. Not sure what happened to that museum. This time of the year there should be some Ford meets or gatherings around the Country.
Enjoy your stay.

Pete
Thanks, I will investigate that as I am now in the London area and Dagenham is not that far from me.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

Brett Wilkie wrote:
peteleo wrote:Hi Brett,

Enjoy your stay.

Pete
Thanks, I will investigate that as I am now in the London area and Dagenham is not that far from me.
Sadly the Ford Heritage Centre at Dagenham is not a museum and not open to the public. I have visited there with a friend who helps them out with parts etc for their Consuls etc and it is full of nice stuff. The vehicles are loaned out to journalists and events so they are all in working order apart from a couple. I could ask my friend if he could facilitate a visit? He can only ask if they are amenable. If you are still in the London area this weekend sees the Enfield Pageant of Motoring event, there is usually a good turn out of Fords, Sunday and Monday are the best days.
105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

My friend used to own that Consul, it's a very nice car. It runs a Mk3 Zephyr 4 engine with some tuning parts and an overdrive, it motors along quite nicely. Funnily enough Jaguar Land Rover now own it as they bought a very large private collection in which the majority of cars were Jaguars. It must be on show in the museum at Gaydon which for some reason is known as the British Motor Museum despite the fact that apparently Ford, Rootes, Vauxhall etc didn't make cars in Britain as 99% of the exhibits are made up of stuff made (usually badly) by BMC, British Leyland, call them what you will!

And yes it is unusual to see old Fords driving around these days. When I'm out in my 105E I rarely see another old car let alone a Ford.
Brett Wilkie wrote:I have been in the U.K. for six weeks and thought I might see a lot of classic Fords running around but that is not the case. I have seen a few 105e and Capris, one sit up and beg and little else, even the car museums I have gone to seem to not like Ford too much. I did find this nice Consul in a museum near Stratford, out of the hundreds of cars there I could only find two Fords.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Thank you for that information, if we still had the rental car I might have considered it but we are now relying on the tube and bus. The only 105e cars I have seen aside from one were in Goathland on the old Hearbeat area.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock