Euro-Ford Spotting

Post questions, thoughts or comments on anything English & European Ford related here.
Bigkev

Post by Bigkev »

I dont know about the US - but the UK XR3 wheels looked like this.

The ones on the Fezza look very cool - I like a lot.

:D
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I've just returned from a 3,000 mile round-trip family road trip from Olympia, Washington to San Diego, California and points in between. We make this trip every 18 months or so and for added amusement I count Euro Fords. The trick to counting cars on long trips is to pick a type that you know that you will see some of, but not in overwhelming numbers (as a kid I remember counting Rambler and AMC cars). For that reason my count excludes Contours and Focuses. It also excludes any Euro-Fords seen at the homes of any EFONA members I might be fortunate enough to visit along the way (that would be cheating!).

The problem is the numbers keep dwindling each trip. In May 2004 the count was nine, in October 2005 four and May 2007 just two!

For anyone interested here is what I saw on those three West coast trips:

May 2004

3 Mk II Capris (all in the LA area)
2 Scorpios (San Francisco and Arcata, CA)
1 100E Anglia (Mojave Dessert, CA)
1 Fiesta (Cave Junction, OR)
1 Ka (San Diego with Mexican plates)
1 1990s Transit Camper Van (San Francisco with Austrian plates)

October 2005

1 XR4Ti (Centraila, WA)
2 Mk I Cortinas (San Diego and Davis, CA)
1 300E Thames van (on a flatbed truck headed south near Salem, OR)

June 2007

1974 Capri 2000 (I-405 near Long Beach, CA)
1988/89 Scorpio (Alameda, CA)

If this inspires anyone else to count Euro-Fords on their next 1,000+ mile
road trip, please post the results here.
I've just returned from a 4,162 mile road trip through parts of WA, OR, CA, NV and AZ and the total number of European-Built Fords seen on (or beside) the road was ZERO! I would have done slightly better if I was counting Citrons, Peugeots, Sunbeam Alpines, Morris Minor pickups or Isettas! I guess it is now official -- European-built Fords (as opposed to Euro-designed) are now a very rare sight on American roads, even here in the west.

However there was one bright spot on the Euro-designed front. Since we got as far south as Nogales, AZ and San Diego, CA, is did see a few Euro style Fords up from Mexico -- There were Argentine-built Mk II Focuses, Brazilian-built EcoSports and a Ka as well as Mexican-built Fiestas (hatchbacks and sedans), and Ikons. I walked across the border at Tijuana and didn't see as many euro-style Ford as I might have hoped. The local police were driving Mk II Focus patrol cars. I almost took a picture of one, but better judgment prevailed and I refrained.

Here is a link to some 2009 Focus pictures from the Ford Mexico website: http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2692#2692

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

It's wired how I can take a 4,000 mile road trip and not see one Euro-Ford and see two today within two miles of my house. A Fiesta and a Scorpio. The Fiesta looked to be broken down on the side of the road. Left my card on the windsheild. The body looked pretty stright and rust free.

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Here is a photo of the Fiesta I mentioned above. I took the picture on Saturday (4/25) and it was still there this morning. Left my card on the windshield and it is gone now, so hopefully the righht person got it. The car looks pretty forlorn and I worry that it will get vandalized before it gets moved.

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Two XR4 sightings in two days! Does anyone here know who they belong to?

Thursday 5/14, 3:50 PM I-5 south bound in Olympia, WA -- Red circa 1989 XR4

Friday 5/15, 12:30 PM downtown Shelton, WA -- dark blue circa 1985/86 XR4

The red car might be the same car I saw parked in front of a house in Grapeview, WA a few months ago.

Michael in Olympia
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I took this picture yesterday. I've seen this Scorpio several times over the years and the years have not been kind. Ten years ago this was a sharpe looking car. It was parked in front of a muffler & brake shop so it looks like somebody is still willing to spend money to keep it on the road.
beast02

Post by beast02 »

Speaking of these, there is a Ford repair shop in Everett new Hewit that has quite a few Merkurs and XR4Ti's outside.

There is also a house along Broadway that has maybe 4 Merkurs.

Just thought i'd post, maybe someone knows them?

Bryan
66'GT
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Cool. I would be surprised if they are not members of the Pacific Northwest Merkur Owners Network (PNWMON).

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

I saw this Granada hearse in traffic not far fom my house today. The previous owner had let me know that he had sold it to someone in Olympia. I hope that I cross paths with it again.

This picture is from a couple of years ago.

Michael
IFHP
Site Admin

Half Moon Bay CA

Post by IFHP »

Hey Pete,

I was just in Half Moon Bay (CA) today and saw you and your Cortina near the junction of SR 1 and SR 92. Made my day!

Michael
European Ford Collector
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Michael,

I was returning home with my daughter and G/daughter from Miramar beach area. I guess you weren't driving the Zephyr or Taunus at the time otherwise I would have noticed you. If you're still in the bay area, stop by.

Pete
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Thanks Pete. It was a short visit and I'm already home again.

Michael
European Ford Collector
IFHP
Site Admin

Post by IFHP »

Just back from a 1,800 mile round trip to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. As with previous trips I keep count of the European-built Fords that I saw along the way. Last year I saw zero vehicles of this description (see report above), but things improved slightly this year.

Transit Connect (seen on the road): 2
Transit Connect (seen on dealer’s lots) about 20
Mk I Cortina: 1. (driven by Pete Snyders)

Michael
European Ford Collector
Rocky Leitch

Post by Rocky Leitch »

OK, MY bad. I'm going to list some of the Euro-Fords that
run around Ocean Shores and Aberdeen area.
1 88' Ford Capri V8 white, young guy got it from his Grandma.
1 87'? Ford Capri V6, I believe, off red, old guy and 4 legged friend
travel a lot together. They frequent the O.S.Pharmacy quiet a bit.
1 88' Merkur, blue. This belongs to a very young man by the name
of Nathan. He and his friend John stop by once in a while to say Hi.

I too, keep on the look out for Euro-Fords, but do not see very
many of them.

Mike, there is a car show in Elma on July 31st 2010, that Steve and I
are hoping to go to this year. We went with our 73' Capri last year.
We are hoping to go with both of our cars this year. It's called
Heat on the Street. It's their 2nd show. It's from 9:00 to 3:00PM.
You interested? It's $10.00 to register. Location is Main Street in Elma.

We are hoping to get Nathan to join us as well.

Rocky
Kar-girl
fjkghia

Post by fjkghia »

When I was on holiday in Las Vegas last year i was surprised to see a Transit Connect Taxi driving up the strip.

E-mailed photo to a felow Cortina owner who has one as his taxi and he has now posted it on his taxi website stating "If its good enough for Vegas its good enough for Dover" (Kent, England!!)