Starting issues.

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Hi Pete, ok so bear with me here. So I just have the one wire, the thicker red and white wire left on the solenoid and I trace that same red and white wire to the ignition switch and then you lose me, where does that change to? Lots of connections on that, just want to make sure I get it right.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
1970 cortina GT

By the way I notice that just by disconnecting the smaller yellow and white wire from the solenoid and leaving the red and white wire on I get 10.5 volts at the positive side of the coil with the ignition on. Just put the battery on charge again.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

This is going to be a bit difficult as your wiring color code doesn't match the repair manual. I checked the wiring diagram from the 69-70 GT. BTW Do you have a Gen or Alternator? You may have to bypass the wiring system and run your own wires to troubleshoot.
So, I'll try this. Solenoid has two terminals. Large terminal 12v wire to the voltage regulator then to the ignition. That is the main power (A)wire to the ignition system ( may be a brown, red, yellow wire ). Small terminal is the 12v ignition to activate the solenoid to connect the starter to the battery.
'70 models had two wires. Use the larger of the two wires. Follow that (B)wire to the ignition switch. That wire should connect to a single terminal that is used in the start position only and will have 12v. Third smaller ignition wire maybe on that terminal so remove it and replace it with the (B) wire.

Positive side of the coil has two wires attached ( book says white/yellow )
one to the ignition sw and the other to the tach. No other wires should be attached there.
Hope this helps a bit.
1970 cortina GT

Thanks Pete I'll let you know how I get on.