steering linkage ???

Post technical questions here.
xclusiv

steering linkage ???

Post by xclusiv »

hi all... i was wondering if any of you have changed bushings on the steering linkage.. i want to rebuild mine.. i saw some idler arm bushing on ebay, so i bought them, but now i don't know what to do about the rest.. are the bushings the same for the pitman arm also? any help is welcomed .. thanks folks
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

What car are we refering to?What model/year?
I have many of the factory parts books for reference.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
xclusiv

Post by xclusiv »

its a 4 door 67 cortina 1500.
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

Yes they are the same bushings on the pitman arm as the idler arm. The ones on the pitman arm tend to wear out quicker than the idler ones. While apart, make sure the pitman and idler shaft is smooth. If rusty make sure you sand rust off before replacing the bushings. Lube bushings with a light grease before installing.
xclusiv

Post by xclusiv »

Thanks so much... i really want to get my car up and running... i have another question, is there any place in the US where i might be able to find the capri 2.8 vented discs from? or is there something that it could be substituted for.. thanks again for all your help...
just incase anyone needed to change front strut inserts, 1984 celica/supra inserts work like a charm in mk2 strut bodies..Image
70CortinaGT

Post by 70CortinaGT »

I got vented disc's for a Cortina on EBay . Also , '87 Nissan Maxima rear strut inserts work very well ...
Cortinas RULE !!!
xclusiv

Post by xclusiv »

i found them there also... shipping is a killer.. 87 max.. thanks for the info..
70CortinaGT

Post by 70CortinaGT »

Cortinas RULE !!!
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

xclusiv,

The celica/supra inserts will only work on the early MK2 bearing top mounts as the later MK2 mounts were different.

Pete
joeyramone30

Post by joeyramone30 »

Pete, please elaborate - how do you determine early from late?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

If you look in the Cortina C Master Parts and Illus Catalog section 30 you'll see an illus. for the early 9/66-8/67 F/sus. and 8/67 on F/sus.

The early mounts incorporated a bearing while the later mounts are coned rubber ( silent blocks in British ) with a large washer between the mount and flange. I would spray Lithium grease in that area otherwise the rubber will stick to the metal washer creating a little heavier steering.

As you can see from the illus. the early and late shock shafts are different even though the inserts are interchangeable in the strut housing and the top mounts will also interchange.

Just a reminder, the Cortina MK1 and early MK2 inserts will not interchange even though they look the same on top.

Pete
joeyramone30

Post by joeyramone30 »

Pete,

Thanks, I was looking at the catalog and ignored the dates at the bottom - I was thinking the illus. on the left was a mk 1 - something I should have caught. So, any ideas on alternate struts for a '69 Corty?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

The early MK2 transition model with the pre-c/f is confusing. I had a late MK1 GT registered as a '67 model.

I would rebuilt the original susp. There is nothing close that would fit without mods. including the Ford Capri. You may find all the parts in the U.S. Another solution is to purchase Gaz shocks which are adjustable gas coil over struts. www.gazshocks.co.uk They also make struts for the Anglia 105E and Popular. Also www.superflex.co.uk for poly. susp. bushes.
T/C arms / T/R ends / idler bushes watch ebay or contact Graeme White of EnFord Spares in New Zealand.

Pete
xclusiv

Post by xclusiv »

http://www.r1concepts.com/FORD/CORTINA/ ... tsPage.htm These are the ones I got...

these are vented rotors? what caliper did you use? thanks for the link..
i bought the complete deflex poly kit off ebay, its good, the bushings fit nicely.. worth the money..

i'm sorry i wasn't complete with my comment about the strut inserts.. you do have to make a small spacer. sorry all..
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I checked out the link for Cortina disc brakes. I don't think those are vented because they won't work with the original calipers. So that's a good question: Does someone sell after market calipers for vented Discs ?

They advertise : for 1967 1600 ( cross-drilled & slotted ) and below 1967 1600 exc. MK11. Why for only the '67.

All 1965-70 MK1/2 Cortina GTs had the same solid disc and P16 Girling calipers/pads.

Cortina MK1/2 deluxes uses a thinner disc and P14 calipers and two variations of pads. ( early Cortina 1200 had F/ drum brakes ).