Anglia Steering Quandry

Post technical questions here.
dlh98370

Anglia Steering Quandry

Post by dlh98370 »

All,
So in an effort to fix the strange feeling steering in my Anglia I rebuilt the steering box with new balls and bushings. But on examining the tie rods I find the joints at both ends should be replaced. Not so bad though, they can be had here: http://www.amsteer.co.uk/ They also have repair kits for the TCAs and Studs However the joint in my drag link is also bad with no new drag links in site.

I started thinking about rack and pinion steering. The kit from Miltons is expensive and Miltons also wants you to provide a rack and Hillman Avenger/Dodge Cricket racks in LHD are not easy to find. I did not want to change to the MKII cortina suspension as it is also an expensive conversion. I'm also almost through with a disc brake conversion for the standard strut.

So has anyone seen an alternate rack and pinion conversion using the standard strut You would need a rear mounted rack about 36" long with the tube being not more than about 16" long. Any ideas?
dlh98370
canzus

Post by canzus »

You are probably going to need a custom R/P, best place to start is Flamingriver...

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/p ... prd231.htm

They can build a custom for you...
SteveL
3 Capris
2 XR4Tis
JAN

Post by JAN »

There is an alternative, which I had on one of my Prefects (it came with the car).

Measure very carefully the distance between the centres of the ball joint and bottom of the bush at the other end. Cut off the worn ball joint Have a sleeve internally tapped to the same thread as the the track rod end, and clean up the end of and externally tap the drag link. Screw the three parts together. You can fit lock nuts each side of the sleeve, or weld around to prevent them unscrewing.

I have to say I wouldn't do it by choice, but RHD drag links are available over here in the UK...