Brakes: upgrade to dual circuit system

Post technical questions here.
stanchfi
Site Admin

Brakes: upgrade to dual circuit system

Post by stanchfi »

In the Spring 2007 E-Ford Lines (newsletter of the European Ford Owners of North America) there was a brief mention of using a dual circuit brake master cylinder from a 1970's Datsun 240Z to upgrade from a single circuit unit on a 65 Cortina. I am thinking about trying this on my 1960 Anglia. Has anybody tried this or another method? Any suggestions or warnings would be appreciated!

-James
wilsonp

Dual Circuit Brakes for Enfos

Post by wilsonp »

For James, Sorry it took me a while to respond. I have bought several dual circuit master cylinders on eBay. Datsun had made a copy of the girling components and continued the bolt pattern through to dual circuit brakes on Datsun 240 Z and late 70's Datsun models. My choice for the Anglia would be a dual circuit master cylinder from a 78 Datsun (will give you the part numbers on request). Standard size brake line will work but make sure that you use a metric flare nut at the master cylinder. The Datsun 240Z conversion works very well on my 1960 Zodiac although pedal pressure might be less if I used a 1978 unit (smaller bore dia). Cheers, Patrick
Patrick Wilson still rocking in the free world!
stanchfi
Site Admin

Post by stanchfi »

Thanks that is just the info I was looking for.

My current system has a single line going down to a "T" then out to the front and rear brakes. Even if I make up 2 lines that are Metric to English, I would still need 2 "female to female" converters to connect to the old system, right?

My dad is a machinist, I might just have him make the converters, and have metric on one side, and English on the other.

Either way, I would like to make the process reversible in case anybody even want to return the car to the original.

If/when I get around to this, I will make sure to take photos and post a write-up of the process.

Thanks again
-James
wilsonp

Dual Circuit Brakes in Enfo's

Post by wilsonp »

Hi James,

Sounds like a quick visit to an autoparts store will get you the fittings you need as they are SAE compatible. Does the Anglia have a pedal operated brake lights? I converted the zodiac as it was very easy to do. The car can be made orginal with little work as no butchering was required. Regarding the Datsun Master cylinder, the mounting holes will be 1/8" further apart which can fixed with a round file in five minutes or you can get a machine shop to correct as I did. Beware that the existing girling plunger might need rework to fit in the new master cylinder. SAE brake nuts will screw into the Datsun master cylinder but will blow out under pressure as the threads are smaller. Cheers! Patrick (Deep River, Ontario)
Patrick Wilson still rocking in the free world!
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

I used one from a mid seventies Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi) with manual brakes on my blue Cortina. The mounting holes in the master had to be enlarged slightly so it would slide over the studs but it works great and is still on there to this day. They are a much more reliable master than the original girling unit. There are some on ebay at the moment as well. I used the original push rod with a slight reworking and yes you will need the metric fittings for the two connections at the master.
reggie

Hi Guys

Post by reggie »

I just found out there is a guy about 25 miles from me who owns about 9 Anglias.. Anyway I am going to be driving my Anglia this year. Its been sitting for about 6 years . I starts it up twice a mont for the past 6 years . The brakes is gone completely... I am going to replace the Master cylinder with the dual circuit system. I will love to know thw part Number . So If anyone wish to past on the part number to me I will appreciate it .
or I can be reached at mrwarmonga@wowway.com.
I saw that a member (wilsonp) said he can help with the part number please feal free to help me out.
I am totaly tired with the girling system and looking forward to change it into the dual system..
Reggie
"god made Adam & Eve for a reason"