57 Squire

Post technical questions here.
popeye31

57 Squire

Post by popeye31 »

Any one know what the compression is suppose to be and is this motor babit or bearings. going to try some marvel mistery oil before I buy rings. and one more thing does any one have a wire diagram for this car.
Live your dreams
JAN

Post by JAN »

Compression is about 125 psi but anything above about 90 psi will do; the important point is that the lowest is within 90% of the highest. Thed main bearings are shells, but the big ends were originally direct metalled, although a conversion to shells was available. You might have problems sourcing them, though.

Fitting rings doesn't normally work on these engines which, being a long stroke, use high piston speeds. The original rings open up their grooves, so the new rings hammer up and down within them, and shatter - usually at about 6,000 miles. Check them first, but pistons will probably be needed.

Wiring diagram is for up to October 1957.

popeye31

Post by popeye31 »

Thanks! I printed out 4 of them Im a little rough on stuff like that when im working on cars.
Got another question . Where is the vin number for this car . there is a model number and engine number but I don't see a vin.
Live your dreams
JAN

Post by JAN »

Ford didn't use VIN or Chassis Numbers at that date, they used original Engine Numbers instead. It was stamped into the panel mounting the right hand (looking forward) surrounding the front suspension mount in a very stylised font, but also on a (usually) diamond shaped plate above the battery. Earlier cars used a rectangular plate on the scuttle panel below the rear edge of the bonnet, or hood in your language!

It would state for instance:

Type 101E
Engine Number 100E XXXX
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

A year or so ago, I believe Dave Bean Engineering, Kip Motor and Anglia Obsolete all could supply conversion shells for the rod bearings.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect