What shuld the running Temp. of a E493A

Post technical questions here.
TAVSMGB

What shuld the running Temp. of a E493A

Post by TAVSMGB »

Can anyone tell at what Temp. should my 53 Prefect be running at .I tend to think it is running to hot. I have had the radiator rodded and flushed and flushed out the engine I think that all helped however it would help if I knew just what to expect. Car was restored about 9years ago and has had only 1000 miles put on it since.I also had the fuel tank flushed and cleaned out it was a mess as was the radiator.

Thanks

Tom Thaxton
TAVSMGB
JAN

Post by JAN »

There isn't a recognised temperature for these cars: no thermostat was fitted to set a temperature so they tended to run cool, depending on circumstances such as standing in traffic, etc.

Why do you suspect it's running hot?
TAVSMGB

Temp gauge

Post by TAVSMGB »

Jan I had installed a mechanical temp gauge in the top radiator hose. It will go to 190 to 200 degrees in a short time hence I think it is running hot.

Tom Thaxton
TAVSMGB
JAN

Post by JAN »

A reasonable assumption, I would say!

Is the water circulating freely (you should be able to see this with the rad cap off)? Does the radiator get very hot, so you cannot place your hand on it? Is it hot at the top only or all over (it should be cool at the bottom)?
Are the airways through it clear as well as the waterside? Does it lose water (it will if it's overheating)? Are you sure the gauge is accurete (drop the end in a cup of boiling water and note the reading)?

All signs to show if it is overheating and point to a cause.
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

When I tore mine down a few years ago to change the core plugs, I found about an inch of sludge in the bottom of the water jacket. In addition there were several bits of what appeared to be lead sheets clogging things. It took a few hours with some homemade tools to clean all that out through the core plug holes. Finally, lacking a water pump, it will tend to overheat if run hard (hard on the little sidevalve may be around 45 mph). With only 1000 miles in 9 years, it doesn't sound like much hard running though. Like JAN said, be sure your temp gauge is accurate before anything else.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
TAVSMGB

Engine Temp

Post by TAVSMGB »

Just thought I would let you all know I sourced a NOS water pump put it on and problem seems to be solved. A very good friend of mine grew up with these cars in south africa and he said the temp. should be about 172 ,175 and thats what we are running.
I also found an oil bath air cleaner in virginia it was pretty tatty I had it refinished and it to is now on the car looks good and will help to keep my oil clean.
Thank you all for your help.

TAVSMGB
Tom Thaxton
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Hi Tom. Glad to hear you fond the air cleaner. Those things must be pretty rare.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect