stop light adjustment

Post technical questions here.
66gt

stop light adjustment

Post by 66gt »

Hello All!

I've noticed lately that when I brake on my mk1 gt the stop light doesn't respond unless I push harder towards the floor to make it light up. Is there an adjustment to make it more sensitive while braking? I found this out while backing up in a parking area that had a large plate glass backdrop for me to observe.

Thanks...
Steve
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Locate the brake light switch just above the brake pedal return spring mounted on a bracket. You will see two white wires on one terminal and one green wire on the other terminal. Loosen then back-off the two nuts on the switch and make your adjustment.
66gt

Post by 66gt »

Thanks Pete! You know I thought I saw that bracket but then again its getting harder to crawl around my car too.

Steve
66gt

Post by 66gt »

Hey Pete

After further discovery I noticed that on one side of the bracket is a large fiber washer and opposite the bracket is a large nut, is this arrangement normal? Its seems that with this combination it looks like the only way to adjust it would be to add another washer or there should really be another nut which the washer is taking the place of.

I will investigate further when I get another chance to look at it.

Steve
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Steve,

There should be two nuts ( 1/8" thick ) on the switch one on each side of the bracket. I can send you one if you give me your address on a PM.

Pete
66gt

Post by 66gt »

Thanks Pete PM sent