1953 Ford Consul pistons

Post technical questions here.
hbogart0412

1953 Ford Consul pistons

Post by hbogart0412 »

Could anyone help me find pistons for my car? This is a North American import. How do I measure for oversize and what do I look for when ordering? Regards.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Standard bore: 3.125". Measure the bore from top to bottom and pistons
for wear. You may need new rings only.
Try EnFord Spares for pistons or rings. mail@enford.co.nz
JAN

Post by JAN »

If you clean the carbon from the piston crown, any oversize will be marked in the top, e.g. +0.010 (10 thou) or, posibly STD (Standard size). Original Ford pistons will be standard, but have no markings.
hbogart0412

Post by hbogart0412 »

Looks like they're standard with no wear to the bores. I'll hone them out when I get parts. Two will have to be replaced. All rings are cracked and it appears pieces of the rings cut groves into the crowns (actually melted to the top of one of them). Graeme at EnFord Spares is a great source for spares. Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe you can help with a diagnosis? Believe this was caused by a blown head gasket. Car overheated last August, but don't know why other than it was really hot outside. Boil test revealed thermostat was good. Bad rad cap? Corroded radiator core? (if so, how can I tell?) Just don't want this to happen again. Regards