1968 emissions plumbing

Post technical questions here.
rdssdi

1968 emissions plumbing

Post by rdssdi »

I am completing the plumbing on my 1968 cross flow. There is no air pump and the ports in the head have been plugged with threaded inserts.

There are three metal tubes coming from the bottom of the air cleaner as well as one attached to the oil filler cap. A rectangular breather is fit to the right rear of the block and has a small metal "nipple" protruding from it.

How are all these "vents" plumbed? Is there a PCV valve installed somewhere? The block breather "nipple' is slightly smaller diameter than the tubes attached to the underside of the air cleaner.

The manifold vacuum "nipple" is attached to the brake servo at present.

I would appreciate information as to how all this is plumbed. thanks

Bob
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Bob,

The rectangular breather is the crankcase ventilation cannister. On top of it is a PCV ( positive crankcase valve ) which is a one way valve, attached to it is a hose that goes to the inlet manifold directly underneath the carb.
The cannister has a baffle inside to prevent engine oil from being sucked up into the inlet man. and could glog the inlet valves. Make sure that the cannister and PCV ( which can be pulled out from it's gromment ) are clean. I can include some pictures of these items if needed.

Pete
rdssdi

Post by rdssdi »

I would appreciate photos. From your description the pcv valve is attached to the vertical "nipple" which protrudes from the rectangular metal case.

The barb fitting on the inlet manifold below the carb is currently connected to the brake booster with a "one way" valve inline.

There are three pipes that come from the bottom of the air cleaner assembly and one that comes from the valve cover / oil filler cap. What is attached to these?

bob
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

As you don't have most of the smog equipment attached to the engine, the air cleaner tubes can be plugged. Here are pictures of the smog emissions for the 68 c/f. http://us.mc830.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welco ... nd=4782920
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Link won't work. Please see photos attached.Image
rdssdi

breather port

Post by rdssdi »

Thank you for the photos.

As the air pump was removed and the exhaust ports plugged, I am mostly interested in the "semi closed positive crankcase ventilation" drawing. It appears that the hose goes from the crankcase breather to the intake manifold "vacuum" port. As that port is used for the power brakes, should the crankcase breather be connected elsewhere or a "T" introduced to the brake vacuum hose?

The breather / filler cap also has a pipe for a hose to fit. Would that be plugged also or attached to one of the tubes fit to the air cleaner.

Any suggestions where I can obtain the cork seal that seals the perimeter of the air cleaner cover? The seal between the air cleaner body and the carb?

My engine is GT spec.
thanks

Bob
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

There should be a vacuum T fitting connected to the inlet manifold for the PCV and brake servo.

The oil cap has a short hose going to the nearest air cleaner tube. The two other air cleaner tubes can be plugged. I have factory pre-bent oil cap rubber tubes if needed.

Air cleaner cork seals become useless after a short while as they become brittle and stick to the air cleaner base and sections break off.
Instead, apply a bead of black silicon sealant around the circumference of the groove.
Fill it half way to the top then smear it smooth with your finger. Let it dry a day.
The seal between the air cleaner and carb is made from paper gasket material. You can trace a new one from the inside base of the air cleaner.