water temp gauge ohmic value

Post technical questions here.
rdssdi

water temp gauge ohmic value

Post by rdssdi »

I am looking for a electric temperature sender for an AC England temperature gauge circa 1968. What cars were the Ac gauges used in?

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi

vauxhall

Post by rdssdi »

I understand the temp sender I am looking for was used in the Vauxhall. My gauge dates to 1968.

Any UK members have suggestions where I may source a Vauxhall sender or its ohmic value? Is it the same thread as the Smiths sender now in place in my crossflow?

Bob
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

The sender unit in your c/f cyl. head should read close to 350 ohms. It should match the AC or Smith w/temp gauge on your TVR that it came with.

New temp senders are available: Size: 1/8 x 27 NPT ( for a 3/8" hole ) round end terminal. approx. 350 Ohms.

BTW Anglia 105E cars with 1600 c/f would need to use a 1/8 x 27 NPT flat terminal connector approx, 500 Ohms. Otherwise using a lower resistance sender will result in a higher than normal temp reading.
rdssdi

thread size

Post by rdssdi »

I believe the sender threads are 5/8-18 unf. I will go to the shop tomorrow and measure. I purchased a Smiths sender (0-180 ohm) that is 5/8 - 18 unf. That should be the sender that is presently in the CF engine.

Bob
rdssdi

thread size

Post by rdssdi »

The electric temperature sender in my crossflow engine is definitely a 5/8 - 18 UNF thread. These are straight threads not tapered. The sender seals with a washer.

Mechanical senders as well as some Smiths electric and AC (UK) Delco electric senders were also the same thread.

The dilemma now is to determine the required ohmic value range for the AC gauge. As far as I know this gauge was used in a 1968 Vauxhall.

Bob
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Have you contacted the US TVR club for someone to make a cold resistance measurement between the sender terminal and ground while still inserted in the head.
Early EnFo 50/60's AC and Smith 5/8 x 18 sender units had a cold reading between 1K-1.8K Ohms. There are AC/Delco senders on ebay.
rdssdi

tvr club

Post by rdssdi »

I will try to get that info through the TVR club. I have met with limited success when looking for such information.

I was told by the vendor that the Smiths sender (5/8-18unf) that I purchased uses 0 to 180 ohm range.

I will pursue this issue with TVR club and I also have a 0 to 10K linear potentiometer that may help me determine the gauge ohmic range.

Bob