Anglia 123e deluxe padded dash question

Post technical questions here.
carl k

Anglia 123e deluxe padded dash question

Post by carl k »

The padded dash on my Anglia Deluxe is really cracked. I'd like to rebuild/recover it. It looks like it's vinyl over a thin foam. I also see some sheet metal underneath. Does this come off as an assembly, or is it glued to the normal dash? Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Carl K.

enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Every car I know of has the foam molded right to the metal. Best way to repair is to carefully cut away the high spots then fill the voids with something, maybe body filler, then recover with new vinyl. Any flaws in the base will telegraph right through the new cover.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Carl,

Another option is to remove the dash pad and recover it.

Remove the (4) vent screws and remove the metal vent strips.
Remove the (4) 3/8" nuts securing the dash pad to the body dash.
Remove the glove compartment box to reach the two nuts. You maybe able to reach the two other nuts under the dash without removing the speedo panel ass'y. The dash will now lift up and out.
The old vinyl material would need to be removed and sections of the foam repaired. New vinyl should be of the same thickness so the padded dash will fit easily back in place. The four mounting studs are inserted in the dash pad holders.
I had one re-done a few years back for $75 now maybe $100-125Image
carl k

Post by carl k »

Hi Pete-

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I figured it had to be removable somehow since the standard models don't have the padded lip. I'll take it out and have my upholsterer reshape and recover it. I want to mount a tach up there anyway.

regards,
Carl
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

So the padded section is removable? That's interesting and makes it a whole different situation. Much easier then.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect