English Ford will not start

Post technical questions here.
reggie

English Ford will not start

Post by reggie »

Hey guys I have been trying to help my friend start an Anglia he just Bought That has a Ford Cortina 1498 Engine.
we have sparks, gas, and the firing order is at 1243 counter clock wise . The timing is correct , the car will Just turn over and will not make any attempt to start whatsoever. any clue as to what could be the problem .
Thanks Reggie
"god made Adam & Eve for a reason"
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

In order to start, it requires fuel, air, spark and compression and all these must happen at the same time. You can carefully drop a teaspoon or so of gas down the carb throat and try. If that makes a difference then you probably have a fuel problem. If not then the most likely thing is still the timing or firing order. Of course, your cam could be out of time too. I would still mostly suspect spark is missing or not timed at the right time.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
canadianmk3

Post by canadianmk3 »

Sometimes spark plugs, even new ones, wont spark when its under compression. If you introduce fuel directly into the cumbustion chamber via the sparkplug hole and it wont even cough, it could bve that
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I revived an old Consul once that refused to start. In the end it turned out that the starter was so knackered that there was no juice left for spark. The hint was that the starter was red hot to the touch.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
JAN

Post by JAN »

enfoprefect wrote:In order to start, it requires fuel, air, spark and compression and all these must happen at the same time. You can carefully drop a teaspoon or so of gas down the carb throat and try. If that makes a difference then you probably have a fuel problem. If not then the most likely thing is still the timing or firing order. Of course, your cam could be out of time too. I would still mostly suspect spark is missing or not timed at the right time.
The logical approach, which is always the best way to go. Don't guess; find out what the fault is, then fix it.

Reggie, if you pm me your e-mail address, I'll send the full instructions. They're too big to go on here!
reggie

will not start

Post by reggie »

I still havent started the anglia but gaved up until next year. The starter seems to be very very week and is hot hot hot to the touch. so nx summer I will put a new starter into it and keep plugging away trying to start it.. I will keep you guys all inform as to what i decide to do with the car..
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Sounds like you may be onto something like Gary suggested. If the starter is drawing too many amps there just may not be enough left over for the coil. However, any starter will get hot if you grind on it too long. You can pull a sparkplug wire and hold it close to a good ground to see if you get a good hot spark.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

If there is no ground strap from the transmission to a body tab or the connections are dirty that would may be the reason the starter is turning slowly because of an improper ground.
A hot carb throttle rod ( 105E only ) is another indication of a weak engine ground after a 2-3 second start.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I was just reading the Anglia 105E club forum regarding the same subject as Reggies problem. This may help;

http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub.co. ... =13&t=4013
reggie

sum nice

Post by reggie »

sum nice info guys .. JAN did gave me sum good help also.. .. too cold to mess with any car now..
Harrie D

Post by Harrie D »

Many English Fords suffer from this problem , it Sparks , got fuel , etc , etc .
So all seems right but it wont fire up , the problem is a week spark , try this to find out .
Take a wire and connect it it to the + of the battery and the + of the coil and start it . If the engine fires up now you know the spark is to week when starting .
The wire in the loom to the coil has resistance and the problem can be solved by fitting a relais to make a bypas from battery to coil , relais should be engaged same time as the starter relais is engaged so connect the relais to that wire . Other option is to fit an 8 volt super coil .
Later cars ( 70's ) have a bypas system fited from factory .
Home of the European Ford