Anglia 105E better cooling fan?

Post technical questions here.
carl k

Anglia 105E better cooling fan?

Post by carl k »

Hi all-

My 1200cc Anglia still has the single blade "propeller" fan. It runs warm when I'm in stop-and-go traffic in the summer. I know there was an optional second blade you could add on top of the first, but have never seen one for sale.

I have also discovered that the 8 blade plastic fans used on Cortinas won't fit because the Anglia radiator is tipped aft at the top and interferes.

Is there an easy way to increase the airflow with an alternate mechanical fan blade?

thanks!
Carl
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Carl,

EnFo outer steel blades were available for the 997 (8" x 2") and 1200 ( 10.5" x 2 1/4"). There are 11" x 2 1/4" metal blades from the Cortina MK1/2 that will work on the Anglia with an original size radiator. The tip of the blade gets very close to the radiator near the top portion of its cycle.

Pictures L to R: 105E - 8" 105E - HD - 8" 109E - 11" CortinaImage

Pete
carl k

Post by carl k »

Hi Pete-

Thanks for the photo. Thought I'd offer some followup. I took the radiator to my favorite shop in Santa Cruz (they do all my gas tank work since they can still use the nasty chemicals). They said it flowed good but had four leaks- two large and two small. I had them recore it with another triple row core.

At the same time I removed my water pump to check the impeller blades (I've had pumps with the pressed steel impeller come apart) and they were good. Checked the thermostat (good), but put in a cooler one anyway.

Granted the ambient temperatures are much lower now but on my 45 minute stop-and-go commute the needle stays between the "M" and the "A" in "NORMAL". I might need to stick some cardboard in front of the radiator as it gets colder, or put the 180 degree thermostat back in.

Carl K.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Hi Karl,

It sounds like you got it sorted. Better to run the engine on the cool side than too hot. Check the heater hot air output, if too cool, you can always put the 180 thermostat back in.

Pete
carl k

Post by carl k »

Heater was hot enough this morning.

Would you happen to know if radiator hoses for the 105e are available stateside? New would be preferred over NOS.

thanks,
Carl
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Carl,

Try ebay or on-line. Ford Capri 1600 top and bottom hoses will work but they will need to be cut to fit. Kip Motors has them for a top price.

Pete