Using Volvo inserts in Cortina Struts

Post technical questions here.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Jebus Brett,

I think I might take you for granted sometimes,

Everytime there's a somewhat obscure question out there, you seem to have a answer and solution for it.

Just want to thank you for being here. :o

(P.S. (Unrelated) Saw a Morris Minor for sale on the Sunshine Coast "Save this Morris" and I thought out loud to my wife "Must be Mr. Wilke")
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Thanks, but as you know, we just can't give up if there is no parts available for us. We do have to improvise more now than ever before to keep our old cars on the road.
Re the Morris, I think I know the gent that is selling it, he is a member of our "very loose" Brit bunch Club here in the Sunshine Coast, we even have a Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/687778181358431/
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Ugh. Chrome crashed after I typed up my big paragraph..

No FB for this guy. Gonna turn into a proper car hoarder once we get some property.

:o

Going to need inserts for my Cortina struts as well, been told once before that Volvo ones work. Once I start working on them I'm gonna covert them to coilovers and need to cut down the strut tubes by 2" from my research
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Langlia wrote:Ugh. Chrome crashed after I typed up my big paragraph..

No FB for this guy. Gonna turn into a proper car hoarder once we get some property.

:o

Going to need inserts for my Cortina struts as well, been told once before that Volvo ones work. Once I start working on them I'm gonna covert them to coilovers and need to cut down the strut tubes by 2" from my research
I can't remember, are you using Cortina Mk1 or 2 struts? Mk1 has a 4 degree spindle angle and the Mk2 is about 9 degrees so you will have to make the appropriate adjustments.
I used Mk2, trimmed 2 inches and converted them to coil over but I had to use special top mounts to get the camber back to Neg 1 degree or so.
You can see the installed strut angle in the photo.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

mk2 struts! Hey those look good. That's on your Prefect?

Where did you source your coilovers sleeves? Locally? I found a company in the UK still need to order
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Those struts are on my modified Anglia, the kit I used was from Burtons, it's a good fit for a Ford strut. I just cut a 2 inch section from the upper center of the strut and used the kit to weld the top and bottom together again, that retains the internal threaded section at the strut top for the shock retaining nut. Don't do any cutting though until you have you inserts, you want to get the size right.

http://www.burtonpower.com/adjustable-s ... mp459.html
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Ya I was looking at a different company and had a quote before of..

Front Strut Coilover Spring Seat Conversion Kit Adjustable 2.25 Spring coil over RX107 2 Excl. VAT: £43.90
Incl. VAT: £43.90
Coilover Spring Coil Over 2.25" ID X 10.5" Long x 170lb MSTRD1184/10.5 2 Excl. VAT: £33.25
Incl. VAT: £33.25
Subtotal £77.15
Delivery £55.83
Total (Excl.VAT) £132.98
VAT
£0.00
Total (Incl.VAT) £132.98
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Your coil over kit has a similar price to Burtons but you would not pay any VAT on anything you buy from the U.K so don't get sucked into that trap. As far as the springs go I used these guys in the U.S. it might be worth checking them out. I am not sure of their inventory but they where very nice to deal with when I bought my springs.

http://www.bluecoilspring.com/coil.htm
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Brett Wilkie wrote:Your coil over kit has a similar price to Burtons but you would not pay any VAT on anything you buy from the U.K so don't get sucked into that trap. As far as the springs go I used these guys in the U.S. it might be worth checking them out. I am not sure of their inventory but they where very nice to deal with when I bought my springs.

http://www.bluecoilspring.com/coil.htm
So Brett, since my Jeep Cherokee rotors/RX7 calipers seem to be doing the job on the Frod Cortina at the front and the back drums don't really care - time to do the suspension.

Bearing in mind that the S2000 drivetrain weighs more than the GT one AND that the S2000 drivetrain is set back against the firewall - the car feels better planted than before but now I notice a lot of dive, so...

Recommendations please, car will be a tootle around toy, taken to the track (Mission) a couple of times a year so I don't need a bone hard ride but would like a bit less roll and dive.

Suggestions?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

So I would like to know, do those Jeep and Mazda parts you mention fit/work on a Cortina strut???? It would be nice to know there is an alternative out there.
Re the anti-dive, that starts to get a bit more complicated than just making things fit and handle at a reasonable level. I have not myself ever delved into anti-dive solutions but I bet the internet has lots of opinions, I was always just happy when I finished putting my car together and it worked without troubles. I was looking on the internet and there is a fair bit on the topic but you would have to be able to apply that to your own situation, what do the Cortina Forums have to say?? Just for the theory here are a couple of links.
http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgemat ... _dive.html

http://164.100.133.129:81/eCONTENT/Uplo ... Design.pdf
One more question, is that Fred's old Cortina? Are you sure the front struts are Cortina and not Capri??
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock