Block number

Post technical questions here.
MichaelsVintageRacing

Post by MichaelsVintageRacing »

I agree 100% about using an Oilite bushing instead of the bearing. When the bushing starts to go bad, you get the characteristic whine followed by some bronze getting eaten up. When the bearing starts to go bad, it's got much less time before seizing up and requiring you to grow your hair out and pry the gearbox off with a giant screwdriver.

Or at least something along those lines. :)
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Further to my previous questions, I am now the proud owner of a twin cam motor, the one on Kijiji from Cranbrook. I am pretty green here and will be asking many 'stupid questions over the next while. I have noticed a stamping in the head at the back of the motor which I am not sure has any significance or not. The stamp is LP 10134. Any ideas. The motor has, apparently, been sitting in a basement for at least 11 years and hasn't even had any oil in it. It had a full rebuild I'm told. It turns over freely, I would appreciate any advice as to what extent I strip it down to check on things. I am fairly limited in this field but mechanically inclined. The plan is to put it in my 1970 Cortina GT. I'd include pictures if I could figure out how to add them on here!
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

You should subscribe to this list. Some of the folks here are on it, too. What those guys don't know about Lotus Cortina you have no need to know it.

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

1970 cortina GT wrote:Further to my previous questions, I am now the proud owner of a twin cam motor, the one on Kijiji from Cranbrook. I am pretty green here and will be asking many 'stupid questions over the next while. I have noticed a stamping in the head at the back of the motor which I am not sure has any significance or not. The stamp is LP 10134. Any ideas. The motor has, apparently, been sitting in a basement for at least 11 years and hasn't even had any oil in it. It had a full rebuild I'm told. It turns over freely, I would appreciate any advice as to what extent I strip it down to check on things. I am fairly limited in this field but mechanically inclined. The plan is to put it in my 1970 Cortina GT. I'd include pictures if I could figure out how to add them on here!
Nice, did you get the later 6 bolt crank engine? I don't know anything about those numbers, it's been a long time since I had a Twin Cam.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

All I know at the moment is it's the 711
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

If the block is a 711m you have a stroked Twin Cam meaning 1600 crank and block with standard bore Lotus pistons. Your engine will not be the original 1558cc but will be 1660cc if the bore is standard Lotus, it could be bigger?? You should do some reading on the possibilities of modifying a Twin Cam.
I am sure you saw this link mentioned earlier but have a look at the engine stuff there.
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/library/block/blocks.htm
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Thanks again, I have a couple of pictures here, if I've got it right. One showing a hole in the side of the head, I'm guessing that this is some sort of breather? The other is of a fitting on the oil pan, some sort of temperature sensor?Image
Image[/img]
MichaelsVintageRacing

Post by MichaelsVintageRacing »

The first is a breather port for the crank case and the second is an oil temperature sensor.
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
1970 cortina GT

Carb linkage.

You kindly sent me a picture of your carb linkage Brett, what's the benefits of a single or dual cable linkage? Also which linkage did you go with, I see there are several options Syntec? I don't have much for linkage on the carbs at the moment, I plan on switching the carbs over so that the linkage is in the middle, will the linkage kit give me what I need, obviously I will adapt the pedal to take a cable. Image
ImageThanks.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I don't know if it is a great advantage or not but I did go with a Syntec system because it was there at the time. as you pointed out you carbs should be swapped front to back so your linkage engages properly as pictured.

I used a gas pedal out of some kind of Nissan that seemed to be close to what I needed but I still don't have my Anglia on the road yet so I can't give you a full report on how all these bits work with each other. Here is a closer look at the Synyec setup.

On my old Lotus Cortina I just had a back plate bolted to the outer face the carbs, that had a bracket to hold the end of a single cable and that worked okay too without all the fancy stuff but you have to use your ingenuity a little.
I don't know if you can tell from these but I don't have a lot of detailed pictures from the seventies when we all used film.
So there are a few ways to skin the cat here.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Thanks Brett the pictures help. You have the single cable set up correct? I have been speaking to a really helpful guy at Dave beans and he is suggesting a load of individual parts which seem to me to add up to the kit that you have there.He also gave me a drawing to make up a bracket to replace the one off the original air filter back plate. Looks like the bracket you have there just about. He has given me another drawing of a suggested cable set up, ie. Welding a small plate to the original pedal, again the same principle as you have. Maybe the kit would be the easiest way round it.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The kit I have is a two cable system, there is a small adapter that attaches to the gas pedal that contains the two cable ends. My old lotus did use a single cable and the brackets I used did come from the original air filter housing so I think that you are on track.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock