Wheels

Post technical questions here.
Brett Wilkie

Wheels

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I am thinking on getting some sort of wheels for my Anglia, has anyone here ever bought wheels from these guys?? I wouldn't mind a set of these or Minilite style rims? Does anyone in North America sell decent wheels at a decent price?

http://www.wellerwheels.com/shop/products.aspx?cid=146
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

They,ve been around for decades, however it says £8 delivery UK only which sometimes means they won't ship overseas due to liability law suits.
Gary
Have you tried a place like Stockton Wheels, for example?
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I will have to check Stockton Wheels out, I guess I will have to email them as their web page doesn't show a lot of detail. There are a few places in the U.K. that I know will deal with North America so I will check them out too but it is sort of a shame that there isn't a competitive wheel dealer here on our shores that I can find.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Another idea, take your original Cortina rims to a custom wheelbuilder.
They will remove the center section of your wheel and mount it to a wider
rim. Example: http://www.thewheelsmith.net/AboutUs.html

Would be much cheaper doing it this way and custom set the wheel to your
desire.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

peteleo wrote:Another idea, take your original Cortina rims to a custom wheelbuilder.
They will remove the center section of your wheel and mount it to a wider
rim. Example: http://www.thewheelsmith.net/AboutUs.html

Would be much cheaper doing it this way and custom set the wheel to your
desire.
I did give this a thought, I contacted Greens Automotive here and they want $175. per wheel to widen them. My other issue is that all my rims here are 100e with a different pcd from the usual Ford, I would have to get the rims first and then widen them. It starts to get expensive doing it this way.
If I am going to spend $ like that I might as well buy new wheels similar to in this auction.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261539119235?ssP ... 1423.l2649
I obviously have more research to do before I take the plunge.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Bear in mind that at £80 a wheel, that is $120 before you even factor in shipping, so $175 might not be so bad. Wheels are heavy and bulky.
the older i get,the faster i went...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The last time I got a shipping quote for a wheel set out of the U.K. it was about 100 Pounds, that was a couple of years ago so we will see what they say now as I have sent a request.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

I've got a set of three Lotus Cortina wheels,
with mounted Bridgestone Potenza 175/70 R 13 tires,
+ 2 unmounted tires,with about 100 miles on the three
mounted tires.
These were some of the last high-performance 13"
tires sold by them.
Make me a fair offer.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

100E. Doug.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

peteleo wrote:100E. Doug.
Sorry, I think I created a confusion here when I mentioned my 100e rims. I was trying to say that all the spare rims I have are 100e bolt pattern and therefore not suitable for widening for my particular 100e, mine has been modified with a 105e rear axle and Mk2 Cortina front struts (all 4 x 108 bolt pattern) so Lotus Cortina rims would fit my Anglia.
There is one problem though with the 5 1/2 x 13 Lotus rims and that is they are too narrow for the rear, I need 6 or 6 1/2 for the back. If you measure the rear axles flange to flange you will find the 105e is 43.6 and the 100e is 46 inches wide, ideally I should have used a 105e Van rear axle as it is 46 inches wide but there isn't lots of those around.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

angliagt wrote:I've got a set of three Lotus Cortina wheels,
with mounted Bridgestone Potenza 175/70 R 13 tires,
+ 2 unmounted tires,with about 100 miles on the three
mounted tires.
These were some of the last high-performance 13"
tires sold by them.
Make me a fair offer.

- Doug
Doug, thank you for that offer and I may take you up on it sometime but I have to hold off right now as I have a few emails out there and I am waiting on their responses. One will be coming from a supplier that I talked to before, he can get the offset that I need for the front end or at least he could last time I contacted him. I will keep you informed.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
MichaelsVintageRacing

Post by MichaelsVintageRacing »

VTO makes a Minilite-style wheel which we use on a few of our Ginetta G4s in the shop. Reasonably priced and pretty nice quality. Here are a few shots:
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Thanks for the pictures, that is a desirable wheel style for me so who is it that actually sells these items? Can you get them in a variety of sizes and setbacks?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
MichaelsVintageRacing

Post by MichaelsVintageRacing »

Here's their website: http://www.vtowheels.com/

There are a couple bolt patterns and offsets for each wheel width and diameter. They're written in mm but at least most of them work out to standard measurements (e.g. 4 1/4" bolt pattern).
Ever considered vintage racing? Learn more about it and our shop at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I had a look at their website in the meantime and there is not a lot of Ford fitting stuff there and nothing in my particular needs, I need a certain offset for the front of my Anglia and a bit of extra width in the rear although I might just narrow my Cortina Mk1 axle down a bit so I can use all four wheels in the same width.
I have had a response from one U.K. supplier that can get me these wheels shipped to my door with all the hardware for $462 U.S. or that translates to $586 Canadian.
It is still one of the old school classic designs that I like and it looks okay on a 100e Anglia like mine, I took this picture from 100e.com
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock