Lotus twin cam air box

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Lotus twin cam air box

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

I'm looking at making a back plate , being a duplicate of the original, for the standard air box on a Cortina MK2 twin cam. I need the sizes, specifically the 'triangular piece' that juts out between the carbs and holds the return spring. I am looking at over $400 for a replica one on Ebay and don't think it would be much to make once I have the dimensions. Anyone have one they can measure for me? I have decided that this would be the best way for my linkage.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I think you have the right idea, that is exactly what I did on my Twin Cam but I used the original cable bracket from my air filter. I think the bracket would be easy to improvise, just an L shaped thing with a hole in it for the cable end. You then just have to make up the back plate to hold the whole thing together, You have everything you need there already, just make a careful measurement across the inlet centers of the two carbs while they are mounted on the cylinder head. Buy yourself a Weber gasket like this and use it for a template.
Go out and buy a hole saw in the appropriate size and if you have a drill press it would be even easier.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Thanks Brett, I guess the bracket doesn't need to be a perfect match of the standard one, I just wasn't sure how long and high it should be so that it sits in the correct place for the spring to attach to.
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...