MK Cortina GT Brakes and suspension upgrades

Post technical questions here.
Sideways

MK Cortina GT Brakes and suspension upgrades

Post by Sideways »

I am in the process of getting the drivetrain in the car and will also need to upgrade the front brakes and rear axle/brakes.

I have read all sorts about axle swaps, the Mustang 11 being the weapon of choice for many - any thoughts on this?

Alternative rear axles (with disc brakes) that you know about?

I will be going to bigger wheels - probably 16" so I can go up in size on both front and rear discs - anyone gone this route?

Here's the car. http://www.enfostuff.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

On the V8 Cortinas we used a Pinto rear which has a long tube on one side of the pumpkin and a short one on the other. By using 2 short sides it will be a perfect fit, width wise, under a Cortina and virtually indestructible. Many have solid 6 figure mileages under them plus it has the same PCD as a Cortina.
Gary
the older i get,the faster i went...
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote:On the V8 Cortinas we used a Pinto rear which has a long tube on one side of the pumpkin and a short one on the other. By using 2 short sides it will be a perfect fit, width wise, under a Cortina and virtually indestructible. Many have solid 6 figure mileages under them plus it has the same PCD as a Cortina.
Gary
Tks Gary, I had heard that Pintos were same as the 'stang 11s - what's the thoughts on going to discs on the back?

Needed or not?
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

We ran all V8 Cortinas on standard discs at the front and the Pinto rear drums with no problems whatsoever. Many were run on the track with out problems, either. These are very light cars. "Experts" would always tell me i need a 9' rear but it was unnecessary.
They would also tell me it was too nose heavy. I would just give them the keys and say, let me know. They would always come back with a big sh*t eating grin. Many were hardcore VARA racers, too.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote:We ran all V8 Cortinas on standard discs at the front and the Pinto rear drums with no problems whatsoever. Many were run on the track with out problems, either. These are very light cars. "Experts" would always tell me i need a 9' rear but it was unnecessary.
They would also tell me it was too nose heavy. I would just give them the keys and say, let me know. They would always come back with a big sh*t eating grin. Many were hardcore VARA racers, too.
Thought the drums would be fine - I hear the comments on the nose heavy thing but once you actually drive one of these cars you get 'it'.

Hunting for Pinto...
Sideways

Bushings

Post by Sideways »

And since the steering etc is all hanging loose, I may as well replace all the steering and suspension bushes - any ideas where (ideally on this side of the pond/country) I can get these?
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Dave Bean. JAE, maybe. Just guessing. Team Blitz?
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Did some digging and these guys may have what I/we need for this sort of thing

http://www.energysuspension.com/product ... hings.html
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I'd bet they can't even spell Cortina. Graeme at Enford in New Zealand has a selection in rubber or urethane according to my catalog. Good guy, always prompt service. Just got my head gasket set from him. I also think it pays to use the guys who go to all this effort as we all want them to stay in business.
Gary
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

I tried them (via Lordco) for the swaybar bashings, called at 2pm had them delivered and on the car by 2:45pm - they retail for $43 a set and are excellent material.

I'll see how they are with the TCA bushings which they did not have in stock (wonder why?)
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Wow, I take it back. What took you so long to fit them, LOL.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Just to update, I added a servo - to the front brakes only, and installed Jeep Commanche vented rotors and RX7 7 four pot calipers and now the car stops as it should.