3rd and 4th Gear won't engage

Post technical questions here.
Kiwi Cortina

3rd and 4th Gear won't engage

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Took the Cortina for its maiden trip tonight and 3rd and 4th gear won't engage. The shift goes into position as it should but no drive. Any thoughts.

Thanks
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I believe that your Cortina has the later single rail box and I am not that familiar with it as I use the earlier 3 rail version of it which is very similar aside from the shifting mechanism. 3rd and 4rth gear both operate off of the same syncro hub at the front of the box so you will have to open it up to have a look why the hub can't be shifted. I am no expert on the single rail type but I bet something internal has failed in the shift mechanism itself and not the gears, unfortunately you will likely have to remove the box and lift the top cover to see why.

Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Brent,

Brett gave you some good info on this trans. Problems usually occur at high mileage where the brass forks wear thin and won't engage the sleeve onto the dog teeth or the fork breaks loose from the shifter rod.
I have a few units in parts. Let me know if you should need anything. Pete
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Thanks for the info guys. I pulled the gearbox out and took the top plate off and found the roll pin from the selector rod to the fork had sheared off. A lot of work for a 10cent part. Thanks
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Kiwi Cortina wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I pulled the gearbox out and took the top plate off and found the roll pin from the selector rod to the fork had sheared off. A lot of work for a 10cent part. Thanks
But that's a lot better than a lot of work and a lot of money.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Agreed