Kienzle clock

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Kienzle clock

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

I have a clock in my 1970 MK11 cortina that works when it wants to, anyone know if it is possible to dismantle and clean these?
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

I pulled mine apart and cleaned it. I reconnected it and it did not work for 3 days and then all of a sudden started working. It hasn't stopped working in 6 weeks but does run a little slow which I should be able to fix by adjusting the screw on the back.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Comes apart by removing the bezel. It's operates with a coil, spring and contacts. The only thing you need to do is clean the contacts and one drop of light oil ( sewing machine oil ) on the spring.
To see it work, connect 12V, + to terminal, - to casing. As the spring forces the contacts to touch the coil will reset the spring thus the process starts over again.
Clock is made in Germany and is reliable, Ask any German...
1970 cortina GT

Ok, next stupid question, how do you remove the bezel? Seems to be crimped over the main casing
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

My dear old dad (how apropos to today) always used to say, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
the older i get,the faster i went...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

It's been awhile. I believe that you twist the bezel from the casing. The bezel has a key way. Let me know if you still have a problem and i'll remove mine from the console and check for sure.
1970 cortina GT

Imageok here are a few pictures of a spare one I broke apart, doh. Can't see a way of taking it apart without wrecking it.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

My clock looks the same but has three notches for key ways so the bezel can be removed. Is it possible that you may have to pry the bezel off.
I will see my brother this week as he has one apart already.
1970 cortina GT

I appreciate that, I have one more spare one and my good one, they all look the same with no 'keyway', be interesting to see if there is a different version. I guess I could bend the bezel a little more carefully but I am reluctant to. The clocks I have are from a 68, 69 and a 1970. It seems that a quick shot of WD40 into the bulb hole works occasionally but if there is a set of contactors I don't want to foul them up with oil seeing as I can't get it directly onto the spring. Thanks again.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

My brother's '70 clock has a ring bezel without key ways. He had to carefully pry the ring off. It would help removal easier if the bezel turns otherwise the bezel sticks to the casing and gasket making it very difficult to remove without damage. Try WD40 on the bezel clock face down and leave over night. That may help.
1970 cortina GT

Thanks again for the advice, funny enough it started working just after your reply, I think the clock saw what I did to his buddy and decided it would be healthier to start working again :lol: